Steak board in Oak?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froggy

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all and happy new year,

I have a couple of questions about steak boards like these http://www.arthurwalton.co.uk/catering- ... rds/sb2400
a) should these be end grain up as with butchers boards or is it fine 'long grain'?
b) would Oak be a suitable subitute for Beech and
c) what oil would be best bearing in mind people would be eating from it?

ok 3 questions!

Thanks in advance Froggy.

Just my thoughts, others might have different views:-

a) Either would be fine, the one pictured is long grain.
b) I wouldn't personally use oak as it is much more open-pored and open grained than beech and therefore would absorb more juices and/or be more difficult to keep clean/hygenic. I would stick to beech or sycamore which are relatively tight grained for that reason.
c) You could leave untreated, use a type of veg oil that dries over time such as sunflower or peanut/groundnut oil, but not olive oil or similar which stay tacky and attract dirt and dust and may turn rancid after a while, or something like Chestnuts food safe finish which is based on liquid paraffin with added dryers I think. Wouldn't use danish oil which is just a decorative finish and not designed for food use as far as I know.

Hope that helps, not necessarily definitive though as I said !

Cheers, Paul

paulm":192vz5mz said:
Just my thoughts, others might have different views:-

a) Either would be fine, the one pictured is long grain.
b) I wouldn't personally use oak as it is much more open-pored and open grained than beech and therefore would absorb more juices and/or be more difficult to keep clean/hygenic. I would stick to beech or sycamore which are relatively tight grained for that reason.
c) You could leave untreated, use a type of veg oil that dries over time such as sunflower or peanut/groundnut oil, but not olive oil or similar which stay tacky and attract dirt and dust and may turn rancid after a while, or something like Chestnuts food safe finish which is based on liquid paraffin with added dryers I think. Wouldn't use danish oil which is just a decorative finish and not designed for food use as far as I know.

Hope that helps, not necessarily definitive though as I said !

Cheers, Paul

also oak has a high tannin content which might taint the meat

Ditto Paul's full reply.

I would stick to beech and only use veg oil. (I avoid using ground-nut oil incase of allergies)

Also if it is not for you, make sure the new owner knows it should not go in the dishwasher :shock: - you may laugh, I have heard of some turners getting work back because it split / warped and after a while the reason became clear!!!!

SVB":2agszanl said:
Ditto Paul's full reply.

I would stick to beech and only use veg oil. (I avoid using ground-nut oil incase of allergies)

Also if it is not for you, make sure the new owner knows it should not go in the dishwasher :shock: - you may laugh, I have heard of some turners getting work back because it split / warped and after a while the reason became clear!!!!

Two valid points as it's for a restaurant that want 20/25 pieces. I'll be sure to pass on both bits of info.

Thanks Simon

Just to chuck in my tuppence worth i would use sycamore for its antiseptic qualities and i agree about using veg or olive oil to seal if it is needed at all.

big soft moose":3jkig6y1 said:

That's not too much of an issue, but you can see on the Oak board if anyone's used a carbon steel knife... black lines and iron stains on the timber

wills-mill":11wpai2h said:
big soft moose":11wpai2h said:

That's not too much of an issue, but you can see on the Oak board if anyone's used a carbon steel knife... black lines and iron stains on the timber

It is true. I have made a handle for my Japanese chop knife. It turns to black with iron stains just in a couple days.

SVB":64ofp39v said:
Ditto Paul's full reply.

I would stick to beech

You can add birch, sycamore and maple to the list of good options (they're all "diffuse porous" hardwoods)

The question of what finish to use on chopping/cutting boards has been "asked before":

What our American friends call "mineral oil" is the strong consensus.

BugBear

Most butchers blocks are left unfinished and scrubbed at the end of the day.

Make sure you use a glue that is waterproof ( not water resistant) and you get good joints between the staves otherwise you will have a complaining customer.

Tom

An end grain board I bought :oops: last year specified mineral oil to be applied in much the same way as linseed oil would be.

For my beech spiked carving board I used liquid paraffin. It worked very well and was recommended by several people.

It was suggested that vegetable oil went a bit rancid and sticky after a while.

My board is about a year old and still as good as new.

Mick

tomatwark":1m0wp2nl said:
Most butchers blocks are left unfinished and scrubbed at the end of the day.

Make sure you use a glue that is waterproof ( not water resistant) and you get good joints between the staves otherwise you will have a complaining customer.

Tom

That's a good point Tom and one I considered today before I read your post. Do you have a recommendation? I believe Tite Bond do something that's food safe and waterproof.

In terms or the finishing oil - the customers have said they want to do that themselves, which takes the decision (thankfully!) out of my hands. But at least now I have plenty of info if they ask for advise. Not to mention a bit more knowledge for future reference. Thanks everyone.

Latest posts

Back