Startrite 352 single phase band saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acewoodturner

Established Member
Reaction score
I converted a 3 phase machine to a single phase machine about 10 years ago. The motor wasn't a direct replacement but one which we managed to get fit and I cant change the speeds on the machine. Well that motor burnt out today as it was full of very fine sawdust despite using extraction. I phoned Alt Saws but got no reply as I wish to purchase an original motor now. Can someone post up a photo of their single phase motor plate so I can get the motor frame size. I believe its 1HP and 1425 rpm. If anyone who has replaced a motor and not used Alt Saws could they let me know where they got it from as well. Not too keen on a Chinese motor although the one I had on it was Chinese, just want to do it properly this time.

Many thanks, Mike

Here you go:

Sorry it's not very clear. Appears to be covered in about 40 years' worth of crud. Brooks are still manufacturing though so you could give them a call?

Do you mean the actual single phase motor used by Startrite, or the 3-phase that you replaced? I did the same swap about the same time, but just used a 1hp motor that was lying around. In case it's any interest to anyone, the original 3p is still under the bench and needs a good home!

Hi Dick, I want to get a single phase one, so its the frame No. that is the critical point for matching everything up like dia and length of the motor body.

Mike

I think I can see LB3 where I might expect to see the frame/mounting indicator. Does that help? Mine is from the late 70's early 80's and single phase from factory.

I am going to check the state of my 351 motor tomorrow in case mine has a sawdust issue. Thanks for the warning.

K

Think mine was a d90 frame, i remember that i got it in axminster circa 2011.

If it's any help, here's a shot of the rating plate from the original 3p motor on my 352, plus a couple of general views. Can measure up the various sizes if you want.
DSCF5262.JPG

DSCF5263.JPG

DSCF5264.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF5263.JPG
    DSCF5263.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCF5264.JPG
    DSCF5264.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCF5265.JPG
    DSCF5265.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCF5262.JPG
    DSCF5262.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 113
Thanks Dick. I have a big job on just now so just went and ordered one from Alt Saws. Funnily enough the motor I got from my mate was a 19mm shaft, which means the pulley has to be bored or replaced as the original on the old ones were 5/8 inches in dia. I worked out that I have had the motor just about 20 years now and I cant remember my mate boring it. The pulley size was the correct one so it might have even been a replacement from my mate. At least that saved me about 80 quid. The cost by the way for anyone wanting one is £252 inc vat and delivery. Thanks everyone for your help. Hope to be up and running by Sat morning.

Mike

Back