Startrite 275 saw - Shaft lock?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncleSteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guy's,

Am I missing something, is there a way (other than block of wood jammed in to blade) to lock the blade support shaft whilst removing the shaft nut? I can't see anything obvious.

Thanks in advance.

UncleSteve":13xk1tkc said:
Am I missing something, is there a way (other than block of wood jammed in to blade) to lock the blade support shaft whilst removing the shaft nut? I can't see anything obvious.

There should be a hole in the table to the left of the blade, you insert a tommy bar or screwdriver through the hole into a hole in the shaft to hold the shaft while loosening the blade.

HTH Jan

+1
If you still have the accessories that came with it, you may see a straight bar with a smaller diameter on the end. Its meant to go through the hole in the table as per JandK mentions. You then rotate the blade until it falls into the receiving hole on the shaft just below the hole and then it fixes the spindle, while you undo the nuts.
I found out the hard way, i was doing as you did and then one day i wondered what this funny accessory was for and i looked over at my router table i'd built and i had put a hole in the top, which was to receive a screw driver into a turning screw to raise and lower the router and it then dawned on me.

Ah... it helps to look at the other end of the shaft!

Everyone is correct, found the hole in the bed and poked a screwdriver down said hole and found the hole in the shaft. Seems to be about 6.5mm, but will double check.

The only tools I had were two pressed steel spanners, not even a fence!

I struck it lucky, it came with fence, mitre gauge, mitre gauge attachments, said locking bar for undoing blade. Two extension bars to extend the table. Only thing missing was the spanners. But i went to boot sale the week before and bought a big spanner for 50p and i got it spot on, its the matching spanner.

Latest posts

Back