Stanley No. 91 a good option?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sebinho

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I've been looking for a marking gauge for some time and here in Brasilia they're a bit hard to come by (part of my problem was finding the correct name in Portuguese, which is "graminho"). While I've got no immediate need to mark mortises, this is something I'd like to do in the future. And while I've found some locally made gauges with the ability to scratch out single lines I also came across a Stanley No. 91 online that is a apparently in good working order. There seems to be a recess in the block for tucking away one of the marking pins, so it looks like it can be used to scratch a single line (and the rods look like they can be rotated anyway) - and I guess the reason for the two rods/pins is to mark out mortises. Are these a good option for marking mortises? I did find a Chinese wood and brass(?) mortise gauge but it's more expensive although it looks to be good quality. Here's the Stanley:

http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB- ... -metal-_JM

and the new one: http://www.toolsbr.com.br/produto/52177 ... -Jacaranda

Can the pins in the Stanley be changed if need be?

Thanks

Thanks again Ed65. Re. the china model: yes,I think it is this same. But if it is a modest US$10 for postage (didn't check) that would be 18 + 10 = US$28 = R$127 + federal and state taxes (which in this district usually amount to 100% on goods and freight) and you're looking at around R$250 and a possible delivery time of 3 months or not arriving at all. Don't get me started on the topic of the republic! :)

I'll consider the links, thanks a lot - but going on my present rate of building things I'm leaning towards buying something and putting my energies into the actual end-product.

Latest posts

Back