stanley 78 threads

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ro

Established Member
Reaction score
I manage to snag a lovely old Stanley 78 rebate plane today at the car boot sale for £2.50. Unfortunately it is missing both fences (hence the price).

Now, I have no problem making up a couple of fences (I need an excuse to do a bit of metalwork again) but I can't find any reference to what threads the depth gauge screw or fence arm should have on them.

Does anyone know? I'd be eternally grateful!

I ran into the same problem and found that the threading on the fence rod was 1/4 x 28. You can purchase a fence, rod and screw directly from Stanley for $10 US - not much weight so shipping wouldn't be a problem.
http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/nu78fekit.html . You can also get a new nicker and screw from the same place. The depth stop is another story - I still haven't found one (but haven't been looking that hard). Hope this helps.

Jack in Nepean":2mdnmzi5 said:
The depth stop is another story - I still haven't found one...

There's also a Lever & Depth Gauge Kit for another $US10 on the same website (ignore the picture of the lever-cap).

HTH

Cheers, Vann.

Jack in Nepean":1n2iq9yo said:
I ran into the same problem and found that the threading on the fence rod was 1/4 x 28.
Sweet. 1/4x28 is standard UNF - I have a die that size in a box somewhere!

Thank you very much!

Now, I guess I'll have to see if the depth gauge screw is also unf :?

Back