Stanley rb10

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jameshow

Established Member
Reaction score
Is the Stanley rb10 plane really that bad.

Stanley rb10 and it's brothers must be the least loved planes in the plane world. Is it really that bad?

Ideally as a cheap rebate plane for when I don't want to adjust my 78 fence and depth adjuster.

Finally surely it cain't be to hard to convert to a normal style blade perhaps even with a bit of 1/8th steel plate.

No 10 planes cost £50+ so a cheaper alternative might not be too bad??

Cheers James

Stanley rb10 and it's brothers must be the least loved planes in the plane world. Is it really that bad?
I just aquired a Stanley RB5. (I didn't mean to but it came with a load of tools in a tool box I bought at a flea market). I haven't used it yet but my hopes are not high. It seems it could be a pain to adjust the blade but maybe it is something you get used to. Then again I have never owned nor ever wanted a block plane so maybe I don't even need this RB5. It will be interesting to see what other, more experienced, folks make of this family of tools.

There's an RB10 on ebay at the moment with bids at about a tenner.

I had one years ago but it disappeared - purely for reasons of nostalgia I bought a mint condition one a couple of months ago . . . it planes, for very basic use - that's about all I can say! (although I was surprised to find that you can still get the blades from Amazon and other sources)

From Stanley's own blurb on the RB 10:

Features & Benefits

• Cutting depth adjustment and distortion lever
  • Die-cast plate rectified on 3 sides
  • Fully adjustable for depth of cut, cutter alignment
  • Lacquered finish
  • Multi-use - Smoothing plane and workbench rebate plane
  • Supplied with 6 easy to change blades placed in the rear handle
I think item 2 may be one good reason for their lack of appeal to serious plane users.

"RB" doubtless stands for "replaceable blade" and the "10" references the #10 bench rebate. Given a choice, I know which one I would reach for if I needed a bench rebate (I don't, I had a 10 1/2 for a few years but we never hit it off together). It's a little heavier than I expected for die-cast body (1.1Kg) compared to 1.9Kg for the "real thing".

It is interesting to me that a whole lot of tools with replaceable rather than resharpenable blades started appearing from the 1960s on. Were folks becoming so useless no-one could sharpen an edge any more? I just can't abide the wastefulness of disposable blades in anything (well, maybe scalpels, for other good reasons besides convenience!). Does anyone else re-sharpen their Stanley knife blades, or am I the only weirdo who does? I swear the edge is far better after sharpening than the factory edge, and a packet of blades lasts me a very long time......
:D
Cheers,
Ian

P.S. What on earth is a "distortion lever"???

From Stanley's own blurb on the RB 10:

Features & Benefits

• Cutting depth adjustment and distortion lever
  • Die-cast plate rectified on 3 sides
  • Fully adjustable for depth of cut, cutter alignment
  • Lacquered finish
  • Multi-use - Smoothing plane and workbench rebate plane
  • Supplied with 6 easy to change blades placed in the rear handle
I think item 2 may be one good reason for their lack of appeal to serious plane users.

"RB" doubtless stands for "replaceable blade" and the "10" references the #10 bench rebate. Given a choice, I know which one I would reach for if I needed a bench rebate (I don't, I had a 10 1/2 for a few years but we never hit it off together). It's a little heavier than I expected for die-cast body (1.1Kg) compared to 1.9Kg for the "real thing".

It is interesting to me that a whole lot of tools with replaceable rather than resharpenable blades started appearing from the 1960s on. Were folks becoming so useless no-one could sharpen an edge any more? I just can't abide the wastefulness of disposable blades in anything (well, maybe scalpels, for other good reasons besides convenience!). Does anyone else re-sharpen their Stanley knife blades, or am I the only weirdo who does? I swear the edge is far better after sharpening than the factory edge, and a packet of blades lasts me a very long time......
Cheers,
Ian

P.S. What on earth is a "distortion lever"???

Carpet fitters that I've used usually have a stone to sharpen Stanley blades (they, of course, use the knives with the "twist and release" blade changing mechanism for speed.

Razor blades! ....

;) Got me! Orright, so I DO use disposable razors. My old pot used his cut-throat up til his 80s, but switched to Gilletes for his last few years. Don't blame him I'm mid-seventies but wouldn't trust myself wielding a cut-throat.....

Anyway, thanks for the 'support', Nigel, glad to see I'm not the only Stanley-knife sharpener....
Cheers,
Ian

Latest posts

Back