Stairway to heaven?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Imagine walking up these after you've had a few:

drunkstairs.JPG

As if you wouldn't feel dizzy enough already...

But as Dom said, in the right place I like almost all of them.

Some lovely stuff there. I think it's a pity that most houses these days simply aren't big enough to have an impressive staircase.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Thanks for this site. Many nice stairs to get project inspiration from.

I very much like the stairs posted by davy owen. It could have been designed by me although I prob wouldn't have made the steps with a slight curce on them though. I would have made them to 'flow'.

These people do some nice stairs as well. Check out the steam bent oak spindles a bargain at £90 each :shock:

Jason

Inspiring stuff - I don't agree they are restricted to large buildings. I have seen some stunning timber staires in small houses in Scandinavia. It's a bit diffuicult to get aroundf the UK 100mm gap building regs. I am thinking of ignoring them myself if the choice is an individual stair or boring standard

Sorry to sound ignorant, but how do you work out the angles and the bends etc. Whenever i look at curved stair rails in old houses i just can't work it out how they do all the bends and joins.
Owen

Sorry to sound ignorant, but how do you work out the angles and the bends etc. Whenever i look at curved stair rails in old houses i just can't work it out how they do all the bends and joins.

Not at all , i have been wondering where to start making one of those . The rise and going are simple , making the treads and risers is simple . I assume the curved strings and hand rails are laminated but i cant see from the pictures . Still an amazing bit of craftmanship !

Modernist":18cfvtqo said:
I am thinking of ignoring them myself if the choice is an individual stair or boring standard

It has been suggested by others that you screw on the 'gap fillers' until the BCO has signed them off. Then you unscrew them.

I think a staircase like that will sell a house and if forewarned the reasons why it will flag up on a survey the new buyers will ignore it .

It has been suggested by others that you screw on the 'gap fillers' until the inspector has signed them off. Then you unscrew them.
I think this is often done as, if you don't you wont get a competion certificate from the BS

I agree future purchasers may also prefer the more attractive designs and ignore the small print. After all you could always leave a stack of MDF strips and some double sided tape.

Look at "Modern Practical Joinery" by George Ellis to appreciate just how skilled our forebears were. A chippy had to do some pretty complicated 3D geometry!

Back