stag antler

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul-c

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all

just been browsing workshop heaven (i know Matthew is active on this forum) and spotted he sells stag antler :deer

"Natural antler is also wonderful material for inlays, making beads, drawer pulls and other small turned items."

has anybody had any experience of turning this material that they could share with us - my only experience of this is our dog and my dads dog playing with and chewing them ( i wont be popular if i pinch one of theirs to try turning it [-X ).

cheers paul

NickWelford":ry87mwto said:
There isn't much to turn, as the core is quite porous. You can do a few small pieces from it. Like turning bone.

thanks nick
that is sort of what i was expecting to hear - the dogs love to gnaw away at the ends and hollow out the antler ( which made me think it would crumble) and just chew the outer surface, which just seems to fade in colour.
cheers paul-c

Hi,

I use small sections to make Cuff-Links which go too quickly! The centre is porous and needs to be sealed with super glue before gluing the metal link parts on.

Kip Christensen though makes some fabulous items with Elk and similar antler. Just Google to look in wonder!

Very hard material and stinks the shed out. The centre can be porous from soft to reasonably hard depending on which deer it comes from I am fortunate that I get given different types from a friend who works it a zoo.

It stinks when you cut it but if you turn pieces towards the top of the antler the blood channel is smaller and it can be used for pens. I have been turning down some bolt-action pens for friends and it comes up lovely. :wink:
Eddie

i am trying to file some for a cbg nut
hard as nails
but stinks like +@"\ even when filing

Steve

Funnily enough I had a couple of fallow deer in the veggie plot Christmas eve, unusual because I normally get roe deer.. either way I need a bigger rifle :)

I've turned Deer and Moose for pens. :deer The dog sniffs all over the shop looking for the source. =P~ If you turn through the hard outside a CA finish will fill the pores and polish up well. Leave fresh antler for at least a year to dry out, slow turning speeds to keep the stuff from getting warm and smelling more, and wear a good dust mask because it isn't good to breath at all.

Pete

Latest posts

Back