SS GIFT VIEWING 2013

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm afraid I'll be away without access to the internet until next weekend, so I'll not be able to post pictures til then, but I'd like to thank my secret Santa now for the big box that's been sat under my Christmas tree for a few weeks now. I have, on several occasions been tempted to tear it open but have thus far managed to resist.
And I'd also like to thank Waka for doing the honours yet again.

I'm looking forward to all of the pictures.
Merry Christmas and best wishes to all.

Adam Riley.

Ok can't wait any longer.
I don't care, put me on the naughty list for next year,
The kids got to open a present before bed, why can't i?
My time zone says it 12.00.....
Erm.....

Anyway, here are my gifts from my Secret Santa.
A No5 Stanley plane and a No4 Record plane.
A huge huge thank you to Santa.
I could not have asked for a better present.
It also came with the funky wrapping paper in the background.

I'm off to sharpen them with my new gadget.....

...some say that its surface is flat to within 0.000000003 microns....

...and that the polished edge it produces can slice through diamonds like it was butter...

All we know is.... It's called the #scarywhet-diamonoil sheetstone 9001 mk4

All joking aside, I'm really really chuffed with my gifts. Thank you ever so much!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 3,144
OMG

best prezzie ever :ho2 :ho2 :ho2
I am going to make a special hole for it :D

Xmas1.jpg

Xmas2.jpg

Thankyou Sooooooooo Much

i would like to thank my SS personally for such a fantastic gift , and time spent on it

Steve

and thankyou Waka for organising this =D>

Attachments

• Xmas1.jpg
    Xmas1.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 2,973
  • Xmas2.jpg
    Xmas2.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 2,973
:ho2 :ho2 Merry Christmas Everyone :ho2 :ho2

when i opened this gift i was gob smacked :shock: , thank you so much SS for this. this will be cherished for the rest of my life. its so beautiful and the craftsmanship is sublime :mrgreen: =D>
only if i knew who made this, i could thank him properly :wink:
can't wait to try this baby out,

Great thanks to Waka (hammer) for sorting this

TT

Attachments

• photo 1-2 copy.JPG
    photo 1-2 copy.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 3,048
  • photo 2-2 copy.JPG
    photo 2-2 copy.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 3,048
  • photo 3 copy.JPG
    photo 3 copy.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 3,048
For my prezzie, I have been given a lovely W. Marples mortise chisel. It's been cleaned up and rehandled. Oh and its had my initials engraved into the handle.

What a lovely present, so who ever gave it to me, thank you. Also many thanks to Waka for organising this again this year. It is always one of the highlights of my Christmas.

Toby what a wonderful plane :) The craftsmen/craftswoman on this forum never cease to amaze me.

Chisel1.jpg

ChiselHandle.jpg

Chisel2.jpg

Merry Christmas everyone
John

Attachments

• Chisel1.jpg
    Chisel1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 3,030
  • Chisel2.jpg
    Chisel2.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 3,030
  • ChiselHandle.jpg
    ChiselHandle.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 3,030
A big thanks to my SS - a workshop essential!

Simon

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 3,005
Wow, Wow, Wow, Wow

I got a box form Finland and put it under the tree, my cat spent some time sniffing it which made me think.
I opened it this morning and it was packed full of stuff!

All you need to make a Puukko knife and one already made, and really good instructions for making the sheath.

Just look at that knife and sheath!!

Thank you my Finnish Secret Santa (who ever you are :wink: ) its a fantastic present.

Pete

Well I have now been allowed to open the large and interesting looking box that has been under the tree for a week and I'm really impressed by the the thought that has gone into the THREE presents it contained!

My secret Santa correctly deduced that I do enjoy old practical books, noticed when I bought my Barnes treadle powered lathe, and has found an excellent two volume 'Machine Shop Training Course' from the 1940s which I shall thoroughly enjoy reading. (And did not already have.)

He has then added a set of DeWalt screwdriver bits, with a holder that works round corners, no less. Much better quality than the ones I have.

And then to top it off, another workshop essential, a box of choccy biscuits!

Marvellous, and very well chosen. Dean, (DMF), take a bow!

2CB800AB-6EBA-4281-AB3B-0BE8FD0D32B3_zpsbhqmy8c5.jpg

022D56EC-F4E6-46E9-AB54-BF29A20554A0_zpsdkljunre.jpg

7E0943A8-11E7-4A23-85A7-AABFD4CADA3E_zpsvapyxdia.jpg

Thanks again and Happy Christmas,

I have received the following:
- Chisel, 1/8”, W. Marples & Sons, Shamrock Brand, cast steel, handle wood not yet identified.
- Chisel, bevel edged, ¾”, Stormont, Sheffield, England, handle ash.
- Gouge, ½”, sweep No.8, W. Gilpin, cast steel, handle wood not yet identified.
- Gouge, ¾”, sweep No.8, W. Marples & Sons, cast steel, handle wood not yet identified, “ZIBERNIA” ?? on the back of the neck.
- Gouge, 1”, sweep No.8, E. Reynolds & Son, Sheffield, handle yew, “1943” and a broad arrow mark on the back of the neck.
All handles are very nicely turned and have heavy gauge brass ferrules.
What a well chosen present! Santa clearly knows that I like good old chisels and gouges. I am very pleased :D

Big thanks to Phil in Cornwall (I suspect) and to Waka for organising.

Attachments

• IMG_1549C.jpg
    IMG_1549C.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 2,943
You haven't read those yet Andy?! Result lol and glad you like :)

My Secret Santa not only got inside my mind but measured my hands when i wasn't looking, freaky! What can i say, look at the pics and please excuse my camera because it has failed to capture just how lovely these are, i cannot tell you how perfect the mallet is for me, it fits my hand like a glove and the weight feels spot on - i can't wait to use this and it will be a real treasure for years to come, to top it off i have a fantastic bit holder as well!!

If you want to stay secret that's cool and i would like to say here a big thank you for crafting these for me, but please stand up or pm me at least! Thanks to Waka as well and heres the pics, happy Christmas folks from a very happy Dean :D

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 2,905
  • 2a.JPG
    2a.JPG
    166.9 KB · Views: 2,905
:lol: Rxh - the postmark gave it away, then? First, I apologise for the gouges not being honed - I've just moved house, and my slipstones are hiding in a box somewhere. The wood was salvaged from some unwanted shelving and I've no idea what it is. Nice, though. The Marples is "Hibernia" afaik. Nice clear ex WD mark as you say. Hope you find uses for them. :ho2 Have a good one!

My gift, all the way from Wales was twofold.

For me, there is a delightful turned box, with a threaded lid made from Black Walnut. The pictures do not do it justice- it is so smooth and tactile.

For my "significant other" there was a pendant, made from Acasia. Again the pictures do not do it justice, but they do pick up the subtle chatoyance that is present.
image.jpg

image.jpg

I am so impressed with these things that I am going to get myself a lathe and have a go next year- It had never really occurred to me that you could turn things like this- I had only thought of bowls and pens.

Thank you so much Secret Santa- Kim I think!

Will upload pics in a second- need to resize on laptop

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 2,877
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 2,877
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 2,881
:ho2 I have received two nice saws, one rip one crosscut - many thanks to their donor, I'll post photos when I can find a non feral child to help me. Never having used a phone with a camera let alone a digital camera, never having uploaded a picture and not speaking computerese it'll be uphill all the way. I will get there, though. Thanks again. =D> =D> =D> =D>

I was reading these posts feeling envious because Santa never brings me anything (Humbug). I went to the workshop to look around, found a hidden draw I haven't opened for ages. Look what I found in it.

Attachments

• Secret drawer.jpg
    Secret drawer.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 2,869
My DW managed to intercept my SS, so I have not even been allowed to see it until this morning ! Worth the wait though; a heavy package with four items, no less. First, a folding Japanese saw - these are great for greenwood, and this one is handy pocket sized.
ss_saw.jpg

Second, a "Made in England" No 2. I've nearly bought one of these a few times, they look like potentially a good little scrub plane perhaps:
ss_plane1.jpg

This one comes with some clear instructions ! I'll have fun doing just that when I need a break from the joys of Christmas. About 3pm then ...
ss_plane2.jpg

Third, a natural oilstone, rather fine. Santa knows I am an oilstone user - that I can understand - but how he knew that I rather liked my small Arkansas slip stone and would like a larger natural stone to get finer edges than a Norton India stone can manage, I don't know.
ss_oilstone.jpg

Last but not least ... one of these:
ss_banksia.jpg

A Banksia nut ! A wierd and wonderful thing. I've never had one of these before, and I hope I can do it justice.

No clues as to who my Santa is - not even a postmark to go by. But thanks hugely to whoever it is; I'm really pleased with my haul - three things I might have chosen for myself, and something I would never have thought of but looks fun.

Thanks also to Waka for organising !

Tony.

Attachments

• ss_saw.jpg
    ss_saw.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 114
  • ss_plane1.jpg
    ss_plane1.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 114
  • ss_plane2.jpg
    ss_plane2.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 114
  • ss_oilstone.jpg
    ss_oilstone.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 114
  • ss_banksia.jpg
    ss_banksia.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 114
He's been!

I noticed that a flurry of Santas had been appearing all morning so I thought I had better open mine.

A caramel chocolate and a beautiful scribing knife with a heavy brass ferrel and perfectly balanced Walnut? handle. It sits in my hand like a pencil.
How on earth did SS know that this is one of very few tools that I don't already have? I have been thinking of making one for years and never got around to it.

Many, many thanks Secret Tony - I shall use it lots and no doubt it will turn up in use in my posts. :ho2

=D>

marcros":lvn6bmgq said:

Yes - it was me :) And I was feeling slightly guilty that I wasn't sending an actual tool - but hey, you could probably keep a single expensive router cutter or similar inside the box!

My Secret Santa (Morfa) sent me a couple of lovely wood blanks - pics will be uploaded once I've recharged the batteries for the camera :-(
One piece has some gorgeous spalting yet doesn't feel very punky - hopefully I'll get a couple of boxes and some other small items from that - the other piece is exotic and SS says it is armourette - which I've never heard of. Thanks very much, Morfa - and I'll upload the pics when I've taken them.

And here they are:

Spalted.jpg

Exo.jpg

tekno.mage":23qeafr9 said:
marcros":23qeafr9 said:

Yes - it was me :) And I was feeling slightly guilty that I wasn't sending an actual tool - but hey, you could probably keep a single expensive router cutter or similar inside the box!

No guilt required at all- both are beautiful!

Back