Squeaking stairs...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeS

Established Member
Reaction score
We're redecorating, so I took the opportunity while the carpet was up on the stairs to run some screws down through the treads into the risers, which has stopped the annoying creaking on a few of the steps. Unfortunately, while going up and down the stairs and rocking from side to side to see if any others need attention, I've discovered a squeaky noise when weight is placed on one side if the stairs... on nearly every step!

I hadn't noticed it before, probably 'cause the creaking was much louder, but now I've eliminated that, it's winding me up something rotten! Other than discovering that I can't find any evidence of the stairs being supported in the middle from a few knocks and exploratory holes, and can't remove the steps easily to look, I have no idea what the construction of the stairs is. Unfortunately the under-stairs cupboard is full of junk, so unless this is indicative of a serious problem we're not likely to take the backs off if that's necessary to get to the bottom of it. It's a relatively recent house - 1982 build - and the noise sounds like metal against metal, like a gate or hinge that needs oiling. Or a trapped and aggravated mouse. Anyone got any ideas of what I could try, while we've still got the carpet up?

Possibly the wedges under the treads have come loose. You'll have to get rear access to fix it I'm afraid.

Someone else will probably have a better idea though.

Come and live in my house for a week and I guarantee yours will seem quiet when you get back home :lol:

If you don't want to access the rear, you could try talcum powder in the joints. I've done it with floorboards with some degree of success.

scotty38":3r3im37g said:
Come and live in my house for a week and I guarantee yours will seem quiet when you get back home :lol:

See, what you need to do is take the carpet up, run screws through the treads into the risers, and then maybe you'll have the same problem as me. ;-)

It's certainly true that it's not a huge issue and if we can't solve it easily we'll definitely give up rather than ripping the house apart trying to fix it. It's just a bit frustrating to get 90% of the way there!

Monkey Mark":3r3im37g said:
If you don't want to access the rear, you could try talcum powder in the joints. I've done it with floorboards with some degree of success.

I'll give it a go - cheers! There's not much gap (and it's viciously guarded by carpet grips...) but I'll see how it goes...

Talcum powder, never heard that for squeeky floor boards, If it doesn't work, at least it will save on the "shake and vac"
Regards Rodders

Back