Square Strip Making Router Jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm currently without a handplane, bandsaw or tablesaw. And cutting thin strips to use as sliders is too diffiucult to do with either handsaw or circular saw, so I decided to quickly knock something up for the router table.

It uses a piece of MFC to provide the straight edge and a pattern bit to follow said straight edge.

I've used some old scrap laying around the shed to create a guide, and a stop - and a piece that is screwed onto the top to hold down the piece to be cut.

I've added sandpaper to the edge of the top hold-down piece to keep the piece to be cut nice and snug while it goes through the router.

I'm using this one to cut 12mm square strips which will be used by the router-fence that I'm making.

Piece rough sawn ready for routing to size:
IMG_0177.jpg

Strip placed into the jig - you can see the stop at the end.
IMG_0180.jpg

Sandpaper doubled-side taped to the end of the hold-down.
IMG_0179.jpg

Hold-down screwed to the base holding the strip nice and snug.
IMG_0181.jpg

Strip ready to go through the router - mu guard is moved closer in - it also doubles as a chip collecter with an extractor attached.
IMG_0182.jpg

The strip is cut on one face, turned over and done on the other face to get a nice 12mm square strip.
IMG_0175.jpg

Two strips cut ready to be used as sliding guides for my new router-fence.
IMG_0183.jpg

Hope that helps someone get out of a bit of a jam.

Even if you had a bandsaw (my preferred way of doing these) this is a good method to get a nice clean edge 90 degrees to each other, and it's very easy to make a few of these jigs for different width strips. It probably wouldn't be that difficult to make an adjustable one.

Back