Spreadsheets or tables in posts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickm

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Have been trying to compile a table of what jaws fit what lathe chuck, to post on the spinny bit. But I can't see how to incorporate a table into a posting.
Any hints?

It's a bit clunky, but you can screengrab from Excel and post it as a GIF or PNG (will look better than a JPEG):
Untitled.gif

(it's for helping me to set the saw table for the odd mitre angles of an octagonal bird table roof!).

Note it's a tiny file yet pretty crisp to look at.

It would be nicer still to be able to actually post spreadsheets!

:)

E.

Attachments

• Untitled.gif
    Untitled.gif
    36.6 KB · Views: 344
Dick,

This is from excel, highlight required fields, copy, paste to word, then highlight and copy then paste to here;

a1 b1
a2 b2
a3 b3

ie the lines get lost.

I tried the same via MS Paint and lost the lines too.

I guess you have to ensure all lined up nicely, (ie justified for numbers) and hope it's clear on pasting - possibly colouring the lines / columns alternately may clarify for reading?

a1 b1
a2 b2
a3 b3

Hey, this is almost as much fun as playing on the lathe! (and warmer!!)

Cheers,

Greg

PS, I bet Blister and the Appleheads will have rinky-dink tool that works perfectly evertyime :lol:

For correct formatting they need to be written and edited in PHP compliant code, not HTML.
This is not easy as most editors want to format the code for you and put in all sorts of unwanted spaces and html code etc.

Do a quote on this thread and you will see an example.
woodworking-show-dates-2010-t38294.html

I used to do my lists this way but now just do them in HTML and provide a link to my server as being much easier to edit.

Perhaps the easiest way is to save the screen shot as a gif as suggested by Eric.
table.gif

Attachments

• table.gif
    table.gif
    31.1 KB · Views: 331
CHJ":azoghtna said:
written and edited in PHP compliant code, not HTML.
Do a quote on this thread and you will see an example.
woodworking-show-dates-2010-t38294.html

That not PHP thats HTML, inline html?

Heres how you do a table dick, its really easy if you just ignore the fact it looks mad!

A tr is a row (Table Row), and a td is a cell (Table Data).

You start by saying
Code:
[table]
to open the table, then you say
Code:
[tr]
to start a line. Put the content you want inside a
Code:
[td]Your Content[/td]
do that for as many columns as your having. Then when your ready to make a new row you close that row by saying
Code:
[/tr]
rinse and repeat this process for each row. When you are done close the table by saying
Code:
[/table]

So a 2x2 table would look like:
Code:
[table]
[tr]   [td]Cell a1[/td]    [td]Cell b1[/td]    [/tr]
[tr]   [td]Cell a2[/td]    [td]Cell b2[/td]    [/tr]
[/table]

Which would show as:

Cell a1Cell b1
Cell a2Cell b2

An image is good an easy, but html last for ever!

Chems, I did say PHP compliant :D Most modern HTML editors will try and include css etc. which will come out as garbage.

Hand coding a large table and manually entering the content is not a quick job, especially if you need to return and ammend.

I think what you meant then was that it needs to be written as inline HTML so it will display.

If you wanted to post a spreadsheet which could actually be used to do calculations, another option would be to link to a Google Document. Anyone with a Google account can create these, from scratch or from an existing spreadsheet, and you can choose to make the document entirely public if you want.

Thanks, Chems. I'll try that.
Guess I was hoping there was an easy "cut and paste" solution.
(one of the few downsides of retirement is losing instant access to a computer support person :( )

Ah there is of course, you can save your excel table as Webpage. It'll create some ugly html, and you can clean it up and then use find and replace to replace all the < for [ and all the > for ].

But quicker to write it yourself as to remove the ugly code will take longer than to just write it out.

The nearest I found to WYSIWYG editing of large tables that could be used on the forum was the old MS Frontpage, once all html page headers etc. had been stripped it would generally leave the in-line code alone and not try to reformat it.
But even that had a habit of putting unwanted non breaking spaces in that had to be removed if you were not careful with the typing.
At the last forum software upgrade even that became less usable so I gave up.

Don't know what editor Neil uses, maybe he just uses a plain text editor, might be worth a PM to him.

Latest posts

Back