Spraying Cabinets Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

19powell90

Reaction score
Hey Guys.

I make alot of cabinets ( alcoves, understairs etc.. ). generally the customer justs paints them themselves or has a painter lined up to paint them and other decorating in the house. I used to hand paint them but hand painting isnt favourite part of the job so i got into spraying a few years ago using waterbased and then moved onto a/c which i love due to the quick drying and hardness.

normally the cabinets i make are reasonably small so i can spray them in my very small workshop but now i have a big wardrobe job to do which i was thinking either buy a large gazebo with sides 3m x 6m and spray with a/c or spray on site once fitted with waterbased, i was wondering what people find easier and also do you find it easier to assemble carcasses first then spray in the workshop and then fit or spray cut to size panels then assemble and fit?

thanks

scott

Spraying on site would only be possible in an empty property and even then would be a lot of effort masking.

If you can I would make a drying rack and spray the wardrobes in parts in your workshop.

Spraying outside is not really possible in December and I wouldnt recommend spraying AC outside, unless you have no neighbours for miles and the necessary PPE.

So cut everything to size first, spray and then assemble?

Drying racks seems a good idea for space saving but can spraying one side of mdf at a time cause problems with warping?

Scott

I've just done exactly that. Two double wardrobes 900 x 2000, only sprayed the one side of the gable 2000 x 600 gave it the necessary coats allowed it to fully cure. Morrells WB primer and lacquer. Stayed on drying rack while drying etc, now all laid flat ready for install. No noticeable bending.
On this particular job I edged all the mdf where required with edging tape, and it's brilliant. Will be using again, for sure. Although I'd rather not use mdf at all, try and sell birch clear lacquer for carcass and popular doors on butts.
I'll do a WIP of my spray booth that's happening ASAP, just ordered fan and filters.

mahomo59":1vxmy1en said:
On this particular job I edged all the mdf where required with edging tape, and it's brilliant. Will be using again, for sure.

On an old project I briefly considered this and decided to use filler ('cause it's what i knew) instead but edging tape sounds good. For future refernce, can you provide more details about the tape you used and fixing (self-adhesive vs glue?) and if any edge gaps occurred?

No edge gaps at present, no noticeable sign at all of tape being used. Avonplywood attached for me after cutting it.
I'll be using the pre glued stuff next time.

Latest posts

Back