SPRAYING ADVICE - much needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guggs

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all . I have loads of joinery to produce that needs to have a base coat of Sadolins Superdec ,which is a water bourne paint / stain .
I am going down the route of spraying the paint/stain . Now what spray gun is the best and do i need to water-down the Superdec . I have no experience of spraying and just need to 'prime' the bare timber .
Can you help me ? As much advice as possible please !
Thank you
GUGGS

Hi Guggs

Hav'nt used the Sadoline product but I would'nt recommend spraying on stain as it takes lots of practice to get it looking even.
Probably best to give Sadolines technical helpline a call for advice on thinning it down

As for sprayguns it really depends on how much you've got to spend and how often your going to use it, I find the Earlex machines good value for money, I have also heard good things about the Apollo machines

hth

Joe

I hate the overspray of compressor based systems, and I hate painting by hand even more. I don't want the expense of farming out the finishing stage to someone else as some joiners do, so I've just bought the Earlex HV5000SF Spray Station Pro. I'm not going to be using it until next week, so I'll let you know how I get on. By the descriptions it seems to be handle 99% of finishes.

wood whisperer earlex video review

Shane

I also have the Earlex 5000 Its a good little machine for the money!
If you havent got it I would recommend you get the smaller 1.5mm needle kit, the unit work so much better with this fitted

Joe

I am pleased to read some recommendations for the earlex 5000, I am so tempted to give that a try for a few reasons..

Hate the over spray and mess I get from my current compressor set up.
Great reviews
Great price.

Hello all ,just checked out the Earlex video and i shall give it a go ! Anything must be better than brush work ! I'll let you know how it goes !
Cheers all !

GUGGS":3g0lma9y said:
Anything must be better than brush work !

Exactly why I bought mine, there is nothing more time consuming and soul destroying than painting with a brush, I detest it! :lol:

It will be interesting to see how you get on, but dont forget what Proshop said about the superdec...

Well, I went and bought the Apollo mentioned above - but no instructions with it. Anyone know what viscosity I should aim at for this? It's got the viscosity cup with it, but looks like it's never been used.
(Was quite amused to see the supplier's sticker on the pump - it had a three digit phone number near Hereford. Which quite nicely dates the sprayer!)

Back