splitting wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnluc

Established Member
Reaction score
can anyone tell me where i have gone wrong, about three months ago i aquired 3 logs of cherry, fresh cut approx 6 inch dia 3 feet long i sealed ends with candle wax and 1 log with fibreglass resin, also we cut a big lime down logged up and sealed,all three cherry logs have split almost in half and the lime logs seem to be cracking too any thoughts johnluc

Hello Johnluc.
You need to split the whole log down the middle,when you've cut them to the required lengths,this will relieve the tension in the wood,then cut into the round,this will help even more,and again seal the end grain of the piece you've cut,then store in a cool,dark,dry,well vented area till they are dry eniugh to use.
Or you can turn them green and hope for the best.
There is lodas of info on here on previous posts about this.
A good place to look is in CHJs posts there is plenty of good info there.
Paul.J.

Johnluc,

I agree with Paul, sealing the ends but not splitting the logs seems to be little more than delaying the inevitable (although my experience is limited). Some stuff can be done with whole logs, although I think probably usually in smaller diameter than yours and quite possibly turned whilst still wet.

At worst you're going to end up with some reasonably sized cherry spindle blanks, which could be just as much of a winner :D

Cheers,

Dod

Back