Spiralux shapercraft 1000 vibrating scroll saw issues

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptturner

Established Member
Reaction score
Recently acquired one of these 2nd hand. I fitted a standard fretsaw blad which will fit most hand fretsaws only for the blade to snap without apply a cut. Am I using the right length and style of blade or is there another reason?

I did notice a lot of sideways travel / flex in the blade which didnt look normal... Also possible the arm has been stretched as gap between the arm and cutting table did seem a bit long.

Anyone know what length the blades should be?

Jon

Without a blade the arm should be about 5 inches above the work surface.

The blade should be vertical and no sideways movement

Sounds like something a bit bent?

Without a blade the arm should be about 5 inches above the work surface.

The blade should be vertical and no sideways movement

Sounds like something a bit bent?
Thanks Fred

Ive been meaning to take the cover off and investigate. However got one seized screw on top. I will have to get out the screw extractors. Hopefully an easy replacement such as an M6 screw.

Meanwhile Im still in the process of fitting a new spindle and sealed bearing on my Coronet 2 lathe. I made a bearing pressing tool for the rear sealed race all well and good, however I forgot to put one of the retaining nuts on the spindle! Ahhhhh.
Anyway should be easy enough, although I think I lost one of the grub screws for the pulley wheel.

Had a Spiralux a while back, only really any good for plastics and light woods, sold it cos wouldnt handle anything further. Like you, I used fret saw blades with the pegs knocked out. There should be a bit of tension on blade which sometimes if blade a bit long had to snap a bit off with pliers. Just make sure you do the allen screws up tight! Once I had the "sweet" length I taped a pattern blade to the bottom for future reference. Good luck

Back