Spiral Duct to plastic Joiners

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottlefley

Established Member
Reaction score
HI,

quick question, i have finally got a record DX5000 and am looking to duct up my workshop as economically as possible. I have seen spiral ducting is pretty reasonably priced for the lengths but the joiners, 'y's especially, are very expensive, so wondered if it is possible to use plastic joiners like the ones available from Rutlands with metal spiral ducting?

thanks in advance
Scott

Don't about the ones you are looking at but there's a vast range of fittings out there it's just a question of tracking them down.
On my system (4" flexible pipe) it links to drain pipe with plastic adaptors and the other end links to a 5" outlet with a galvanised steel adaptor. Duct tape helps.
Also available free are tin cans if you cut both ends off. A "Mamade" tin exactly fits inside 4" flexible pipe and joins them together. Other stuff comes in the same size tins - pineapple slices etc

Until recently I had a set up similar to DX5000 and ducted it with Drain pipe (which is excellent for dust extraction). Plus you can get adaptors from 115mm to 100mm I have just upgraded my entire system and installed 6inch spiral duct from Duct Online. Their prices were better than most.

thanks for the advice guys....i have checked out ducting-online and their prices are not too bad but i noticed their 'y joints are £30 each whereas rutlands sell plastic y's for £7 so that was why i was wondering if you can use plastic fittings with metal spiral ducting....

NickWelford":xpze3fpr said:
Don't forget to earth it for static purposes
I've heard this said but never done it myself, nor had a problem. Is it just the possibility of static shock on touching, or is there more to it?

Jacob":1c0slkaq said:
NickWelford":1c0slkaq said:
Don't forget to earth it for static purposes
I've heard this said but never done it myself, nor had a problem. Is it just the possibility of static shock on touching, or is there more to it?

I had my drain pipes installed for 15 years and never earthed the system no problem ever.
It is said to be a fire or even explosion risk

Latest posts

Back