spinning top

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEPPETTO

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
How many have understood by my little posts on this forum I’m a lover of hand tools, those tools at least here in Italy have almost disappeared and pole and treadle lathes have always take room in my thoughts and have always fascinated me. Why don’t’ try hence to achieve anyone?

Treadle lathe? No, It’s so difficult and too much time to achieve, for now :) .

Pole lathe? It could be possible.

Recently I’d have to build a lost circular foot for a corner furniture I’ve restoring
Well picked some old scraps of fir after few cuts and nails I achieved this:

springpolalathe.jpg

psingpolelathe2.jpg

I know it’s very crude, but it works for what I need for the moment.
Excuse me about the poor photo but the photo is by my phone. Next I’ll use the Canon camera. I admit I took the idea from a galoot ( I don’t remember who) on the web had done a spring lathe using the vise of his workbench as support.
I tried to turn a scrap of fir with normal chisel but the results were bads. After that advice about which tool to use I purchased a cheap gouge and tried on a piece of beech.
Things gone very well.
After a little time of apprenticeship I have been able to do a quite cylindrical piece of beech:

beechcylinder.jpg

All this was to see if I was able to make turning.

The time is next to Birthday of my grandson who likes all things which turn.

Why not to try to turn a little spinning top? I have thought.
It could be pretty to give him it as present for that day.

I had one when I was young maked by my grandfather. I loved it a lot.. It was with a rope turned around and I had to throw it away while I pull the rope next to me. It was beautiful to do to rise it in my hand where it could turn again.. thoughts.

That top could be too much complicate for my five years old son therefore, I had to find another way to turn simpler the spinning top.
Where to find? The WEB naturally..I found there could be the opportunity to make a sort of handle to sustain the top without difficulty. Well I’ll make that!!

After few tens of minutes I had this:

top4.jpg

and after a rough shape for the top I gone to make the little bar:

top6.jpg

top7.jpg

top8.jpg

little sanding

top11.jpg

before the separation from the main piece:

top12-1.jpg

After separation I tried to turn the top inserting it in a hole of a scrap and pull it with a thin rope but it was very very difficult the top could remain upwards. Why? Surely someone has just solved the problem. Yes, the center of mass is too much high.
Hence thinking and rethinking about to solve that problem I thought only thing to do would be to put the top into the electric drill. It was what I done. Some paper tap around the bar as protection, locked all into the mandrel and go.
With a chisel and with a lot of attention after few minutes I had this:

top13-1.jpg

top14-1.jpg

top15-1.jpg

Notwithstanding the tape some hollows have been created on the rod. Patience !!

I have inserted the tip too :

top17-1.jpg

or here for a greater image

The job is still WIP. Now I must make the holder.

Let you know the progress about the holder

Many cheers
Gabriele

Looks good,and I admire your creativity - well done!

Andrew (who also finds pole lathes fascinating)

Alf":3k0bmv43 said:
Brilliant, Gabriele! =D> Possibly it was this one you were inspired by?

Cheers, Alf

Hi Alf,
it was this one too, but I tried e photo just with my "model" :lol: (screwed to the face vise and with a vertical support)

Gabriele

Great stuff. Really interesting to see how people overcome difficulties with such enthusiasm.

Adam

GEPPETTO":1m9ehjx5 said:
Alf":1m9ehjx5 said:
Brilliant, Gabriele! =D> Possibly it was this one you were inspired by?

Cheers, Alf

Hi Alf,
it was this one too, but I tried e photo just with my "model" :lol: (screwed to the face vise and with a vertical support)

Gabriele

Tried! but without the web link :(

http://lh4.google.it/image/dafrasaga/RdR_FrM9rII/AAAAAAAAAAw/1GlXqb0z-Ok/jp7.jpg?imgmax=512

http://lh3.google.it/image/dafrasaga/RdR-tbM9rHI/AAAAAAAAAAo/fr2Z0-fPgYc/jp8.jpg?imgmax=512

Cheers
Gabriele

P.S. Yesterday turned the holder.. soon pics. bye

Hi All,
how I said I made the holder, too... below there're some pics..Hey how much it turns..over a flat surface floor it remains a lot upright :wink:

IMG_3809.jpg

IMG_3811.jpg

some sanding and..

IMG_3820.jpg

IMG_3821.jpg

the final assembly

IMG_3822.jpg

and after some oil and wax...

IMG_4231.jpg

If I'd have to say something about this my first experience I'd say I wouldn't ever be expected this result :D

Cheers
Gabriele

Super, Gabriele! =D> Reminds me I was given one rather like it many years ago - must still have it somewhere... :-k Quite the art needed to get a really good spin going and then release it cleanly if I remember correctly, but acquiring the knack is half the fun. :D

Cheers, Alf

Hi again,
finally I have arrived at the aim which began me to the construction of
the pole/spring lathe.."the lost foot" of that furniture.
Here I updated the lathe with improvements : a more stable pedal. I
know it isn't the higher quality :lol: but it works (what I wanted
for..).
Below there are few pics of the WIP:

a more stable pedal:

IMG_4863.jpg

IMG_4862.jpg

the model:
IMG_4865.jpg

Unfortunately I hadn't a square of diameter equal the model.. I have one 1/2 cm smaller.. what do I do? Mhhh. The distance between the two's is 1 meter and one could not notice the difference, hence go on :lol: .

some times of turning:

IMG_4861.jpg

IMG_4866.jpg

IMG_4869.jpg

IMG_4871.jpg

IMG_4872.jpg

IMG_4872.jpg

IMG_4873.jpg

the result:

IMG_5002.jpg

some adds of lost parts:
IMG_5195.jpg

IMG_5200.jpg

panel flattening:
IMG_5203.jpg

before and after painting:
IMG_5327.jpg

IMG_5324.jpg

to notice.. the right foot is the new. I think if I didn't say you the difference you didn't notice that, do you? :lol:

IMG_5337.jpg

OK. Now I can put it in the kitchen with TV over and Her can fill it with yummy stuffs.

Cheers, Gabriele :wink:

Back