Spinning Through the Wood Pile

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will be interesting to see what other colour casts appear out of this stash, no significant sign of them when laid down, just hope there is no significant amount of the black sooty mould staining.

DSCN6526.JPG
DSCN6527.JPG

DSCN6528.JPG
DSCN6529.JPG
DSCN6530.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN6526.JPG
    DSCN6526.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 405
  • DSCN6527.JPG
    DSCN6527.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 405
  • DSCN6528.JPG
    DSCN6528.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 405
  • DSCN6529.JPG
    DSCN6529.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 405
  • DSCN6530.JPG
    DSCN6530.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 405
DSCN6531.JPG
DSCN6532.JPG
DSCN6533.JPG

DSCN6534.JPG
DSCN6535.JPG
DSCN6536.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN6531.JPG
    DSCN6531.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 387
  • DSCN6532.JPG
    DSCN6532.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 387
  • DSCN6533.JPG
    DSCN6533.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 387
  • DSCN6534.JPG
    DSCN6534.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 387
  • DSCN6535.JPG
    DSCN6535.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 387
  • DSCN6536.JPG
    DSCN6536.JPG
    660.4 KB · Views: 387
Dalboy":37e2zq9k said:
I see you have now moved onto the beech pile :lol:
Yes, in a somewhat delusionary attempt to get a break from all the smaller pieces of Yew that seem to multiply quicker than I can dig them out of the store.
Now the Beech is embarking on the same course as I create the blanks, will endeavour to clear up the small bits as I go though to limit its frustration quotient.

Hunting through the wood stocks for something suitable for a current behind the scenes project that's keeping me occupied on the lathe for several days this piece of Pear came to light, must have been there at least 5 years.
Even knowing that wood shrinkage across the grain is greater than along grain as it dries I was surprised to see that this nominal 165mm 'round' blank had shrunk some 20mm across its width, fortunately it had also relaxed its cut face some 5mm in the direction of the bark side periphery & come through without splitting. So rather than put it back on a shelf I took some Me time out to fit this one into the days routine.
DSCN6537.JPG
DSCN6539.JPG
DSCN6538.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN6537.JPG
    DSCN6537.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 359
  • DSCN6539.JPG
    DSCN6539.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 359
  • DSCN6538.JPG
    DSCN6538.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 359
The major turning event for today was the tensioning knob for this Lazy Kate.
DSCN6543.JPG

All part of the continuing Wool Saga that has hit the family circle.

Attachments

• DSCN6543.JPG
    DSCN6543.JPG
    206.8 KB · Views: 322
I’ve been looking at many of the pieces produced for inspiration - there’s a danger of just doing what I have always done and not progressing much - so your cataloguing benefits me.

I don’t have the means to hollow form a vase, but after trying segmented rings/bowls, I may use this to make a vase in two (three) parts with a ring joining them together and so gain access to the inside to do a good enough job on it.

What happens to the 1700+ pieces that you have made? I assume that you don’t have acres of sideboards to display them all (or the “required planning permission” to do this), or once catalogued they are simply being stored away in a box.

Simon_M":1apibxo2 said:
What happens to the 1700+ pieces that you have made?
A moderate selection gather dust, usually those that mark a particular event or technique that made an impression on the satisfaction front. (to be honest it's starting to get to the point that 'One in One out' ought to be applied)

The annual round of Birthday & Christmas gifts find their way to those that have shown an interest.

The bulk in recent years have homes to go to, remainder get distributed amongst visitors as they select and leftovers make their way to a fund raising event most years.

The Gallery is not the full output story, not everything is for public display if being made to order, but is usually of a similar basic turning nature.

Regarding the simple multi part hollow forms, it's a very good way to increase your confidence with hollowing and allows inside finishing as you go if you plan ahead. Just make sure your mating surfaces are either flat across the diameter or any stepped collars are a good fit to avoid joint failure or unsightly glue joins.

Thanks for confirming that at least one person finds the saga useful for inspiration..

Simon isn't the only one. I too enjoy seeing each piece as examples of shapes to be considered for future work.

Interesting to hear how you deal with the produce from the lathe. Mrs G is still keen to have all of mine on display. Not sure how long this will last. They do show a short progress of improvement, but there will quickly come a time when I won't want the beginning pieces on show.

Definitely a chunky look, must get my act together with some different texturing options.
DSCN6544.JPG
DSCN6546.JPG
DSCN6545.JPG
DSCN6547.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN6544.JPG
    DSCN6544.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 369
  • DSCN6546.JPG
    DSCN6546.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 369
  • DSCN6545.JPG
    DSCN6545.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 369
  • DSCN6547.JPG
    DSCN6547.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 369
Very nice Chas I like the two decorative bands on these. At least you have managed to complete something my work is slow progress at the moment

Did two more as well today Derek, deflated the ego somewhat when they made their way indoors to find that the simple decorative feature on one was not finished to my liking and has had to go back in the shed 'till morning for re-finishing and the other to my chagrin is a bit too near the mark of imitating a flower pot complete with drainage hole so will need to have a support foot embellishment added to see if it's salvageable. Would like to blame the two mistakes on having to break off the final finishing to fend an unexpected Skype call which interrupted the flow but that won't wash with the conscience.

Regarding the rate of progress, there's not much comparison between the simple forms I turn out and the variation and intricacies of the projects you tackle.

Most of my pieces end up sitting next to the tele where I can see them for a few days before I really pass them. I also know the frustration when something does not go right, many I have been able to salvage and others end up in someone's wood pile for burning.
I put this down to a learning curve which can be a good thing in the long run. The old saying "Learn from your mistakes" is such a true phrase which many should take note of.

RickG":3negv89t said:
And there was me thinking it's only those new to turning who have things not go to plan and making bags of "exotic firewood".

The more experienced that you become does not mean mistakes are not made, it is just that you have less of them if you have learnt from them.
Also the more experienced can find ways of turning them into another design instead of just throwing them away.
The piece I am working on at the moment is so demanding on getting things the right size and thickness that the potential for things to go wrong can be quite high. Hopefully will show this soon.

Sorry Chas did not mean to highjack your thread

Not Hijacked at all Derek, discussion of the good the bad and the evil and ways to produce more of the former and fewer of the latter two is never wasted.

I have my fingers tightly crossed regarding your current turning project, a catastrophic 'Blow-up' looks all too possible.

Back