Spectacles !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWood

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just posted this elsewhere and realsied then that there are plenty here who might find it useful.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has found this, but I'm surprised
how often I tell fellow sufferers and they don't know it.

If you are like me and in your senility your eyes will no longer focus
on your computer screen, newspaper, and worst of all that little
fiddly job that really requires close in sight, you will have gone to
Lidls, Costo, Boots, etc and bought 'Reader' glasses.

Have you discovered that if you pile one pair on top of another, they
add up ? You really can recover that close-to seeing capability - OK
you look a tit with three pairs of glasses on your nose and any tool
more than 2 feet away is really blurry, but you're in the workshop
anyway so whose going to see you ?

And before anyone else says it - if you're worried about making a
spectacle of yourself then don't bother..

As others have said - 'I'll get my coat' :>)
Rob

Contact lenses and a pair of specs for close up work is what works for me.

As I ride a motorbike all day every day and find contacts are the only way to go.

I never thought I would get on with contacts, just the thought of sticking something in my eyes would have me squirming but they are fantastic and so easy.

Mick

All you are doing is multiplying the refraction of the lens by adding multiple pairs, you can easily get around this by buying 'ready-reader' of a higher power, you can usually get powers up to +4.50 and sometimes higher - if you know someone in the business you could get anything up to about +10.00ds

If you are struggling for close-up vision, I'd suggest you get yourself off to an optician and have you eyes tested, as often poor vision can be an early warning for a many number of conditions. (disclaimer: I'm a technician for an optical group).

BB - I appreciate your technical input, but this was meant as a slightly tongue in cheek recommendation. Yes you are correct, but I think you have taken the matter a little too professionally!

I'm late 60's and have a number of friends who are all finding that there sight is good enough for most things but need readers for ....reading! It was just that I needed to get closer to sort out an electronics problem that I tried and found successful wearing two pairs of 1.5x to achieve what my eyes would have coped with happily 10 years ago.

And I really don't want any more pairs of glasses around. 1.5x do me fine - two pairs gives me 3x (?) for the short period of the task and that's all that is required - hnce the recommendation.

Rob

Forgive the hijack but Byron maybe you can answer something that puzzles me?

I have eye test annually & have bi focals (plus a pair of prescription safety glasses).

I thought for close up bench work I might get a pair of "slighty stronger" reading glasses. But when I tried some on at Tescos and every strength gave me blurred vision. Why??

OK BB - I'll leave others to judge whether they want to have even more pairs of glasses to lose, or take advantage of a simple solution using the workshop pair and the house pair to solve a 5 minute problem. That was the point of the posting.

I take it that apart from you considering it more convenient to have a dedicated pair, you don't find anything "technically" wrong in wearing several pairs for a couple of minutes ?

Rob

Brings me in mind of my old man. When he was still able to get out to the workshop, you'd often see him with as many as three pairs of specs(or 'bins' as he used to call them) perched on the end of his beak. He used to get plenty of stick for it as well!

OldWood":3419km7w said:
OK BB - I'll leave others to judge whether they want to have even more pairs of glasses to lose, or take advantage of a simple solution using the workshop pair and the house pair to solve a 5 minute problem. That was the point of the posting.

I take it that apart from you considering it more convenient to have a dedicated pair, you don't find anything "technically" wrong in wearing several pairs for a couple of minutes ?

Rob

You are contradicting yourself surely?

First you say 'want to have even more pairs' (when I'm suggesting having a single stronger pair of readers).

Then you say "wearing several pairs"

What are you suggesting exactly - that someone has extra pairs and wears multiple pairs? Surely my solution of a single stronger pair is using less specs, and is more handy to wear as opposed to two pairs.

Either way, I've probably read your thread wrong, wear what you like.

lurker":3n9wui2j said:
Forgive the hijack but Byron maybe you can answer something that puzzles me?

I have eye test annually & have bi focals (plus a pair of prescription safety glasses).

I thought for close up bench work I might get a pair of "slighty stronger" reading glasses. But when I tried some on at Tescos and every strength gave me blurred vision. Why??

The main reason is that these reader-readers are poor quality, the second reason is that you probably have as astigmatism that ready-readers do not correct. All these 'readers' are, are magnifying glasses.

The third reason could be that the OC (optical centre) is not in line with your PD (pupillery distance) - this will have the effect of blurred vision, tired eyes, and prismatic effect, as the strength of the OC is dragging your pupils one way or the other. When you have a pair made up at the opticians, the OC of the lens is always made so that it is in direct alignment with your PD.

I think Rob's actual situation is being missed. He normally wears +1.5 glasses for reading is likely to have 2 pairs - redundancy etc. Now it makes perfect sense for him to "double up" rather than buy a pair of +3 glasses.

Why - he actually uses the +1.5 ones all the time, as opposed to the never never for the +3 ones (in which case when he needs them, like most things isn't going to find them.) Whereas the +1.5 will always be to hand.

Yes - it isn't textbook logic, but perfectly understandable and probably more real world logic.

Dibs-h":3v6wnlkm said:
I think Rob's actual situation is being missed. He normally wears +1.5 glasses for reading is likely to have 2 pairs - redundancy etc. Now it makes perfect sense for him to "double up" rather than buy a pair of +3 glasses.

Why - he actually uses the +1.5 ones all the time, as opposed to the never never for the +3 ones (in which case when he needs them, like most things isn't going to find them.) Whereas the +1.5 will always be to hand.

Yes - it isn't textbook logic, but perfectly understandable and probably more real world logic.

I mis-read the thread, it didn't make much sense, but as you explain it, it's more understandable. Although as you don't wear readers all the time, I still don't see the major benefit of having two pairs instead of one dedicated pair. But either way, the advice is out there for everyone's situation.

I can't copy to here but if you want good decent cheap Specs try
Want Glasses .com .
This is no joke
Cheers !

joesoap said:

I can't copy to here but if you want good decent cheap Specs try
Want Glasses .com .
This is no joke
Cheers !

Thanks Dibs, that does explain in words of one syllable.

Joesoap - that is a worthwhile link for prescription glasses and i'm sure it will be of use to some. The point that I was suggesting is relevent to the many of us can just use £3 readers from Boots, etc, finding them adequate and avoiding the complication and expense of prescription lenses. I suspect doubling up prescription lenses would not give the same bonus as doing it with plain ones.

Rob

OldWood":22rljyde said:
I suspect doubling up prescription lenses would not give the same bonus as doing it with plain ones.

Rob

It would give exactly the same bonus. There is no difference in the makeup of the power of the lenses. The only difference is prescription lenses are made out of slightly different materials, but the magnification still doubles if you wear two. As mentioned before, the only potential problem with ready-readers is that they are just 'sphere power' single vision, and don't correct astigmatism (cyl powers).

Yes Rob
I have seen my neighbours and handled Two different pairs and I guessed that his had cost around £100 and his d in law who has a pair of fancy jewelled ones half again that again . Well Jimmy's were £16 and the d in aws s with extras were £32 .
I think that the lenses could be plastic but I have worn plastic in the past and never knew it . However my prescription is way over the 4+mark and I would be £70 or thereabouts . I reckon I'm about a white stick and a guide dog away from my next pair . Between a dud boiler and a car m o t and service coming up I'll SEE to the specs later

Beye ~Beye for now !

joesoap":lmzonmrw said:
Yes Rob
I have seen my neighbours and handled Two different pairs and I guessed that his had cost around £100 and his d in law who has a pair of fancy jewelled ones half again that again . Well Jimmy's were £16 and the d in aws s with extras were £32 .
I think that the lenses could be plastic but I have worn plastic in the past and never knew it . However my prescription is way over the 4+mark and I would be £70 or thereabouts . I reckon I'm about a white stick and a guide dog away from my next pair . Between a dud boiler and a car m o t and service coming up I'll SEE to the specs later

Beye ~Beye for now !

Almost all lenses are plastic nowadays - unless glass is specifically required for special reasons.

BB - having just had a difficult and fiddly task in the workshop, drilling out two sheared bolts, I can quite categorically state that you are wrong in considering that one pair of +3's is preferable in the work situation to +1.5's doubled up.

I needed to see close, and actually was adding +2.5's, and then I needed to see the whole task. If I had used say +3.5's, I would have had to take them off, I would probably not been able to locate the +1.5's with them on and equally probably also without any glasses at all, so by flicking the +2.5's on and off over the +1.5's I was able to do the task quickly and without any seeing difficulty.

I understand where you are coming from and your logic, but logic and practice are not the same thing many cases and this is one of them. Subjective use scores in this case over objective.

Rob

I'm surprised that craftsmen who wouldn't contrmplate economising on cheap 'n nasty tools would buy cheapo specs. Stump up for a visit to a good optician.

Back