Spear & Jackson saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomiRosso

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just found rusty Spear & Jackson's Spearior handsaw from here. Is there anywhere some catalog of Spear & Jackson products and especially hand saws? I littlebit cleaned blade and found remains of etching. It says number something and 2. I found that 52 is that backsaw and there are also 82 and 88. Is there more speariors?

cleaning-rusty-saws-with-autosol-t73647.html

It have just same medallion and eching than is in that old saw cleaning thread. Only ecthing had something and 2 at same location than that 88. Other details looks like just same. From what decade that saw could be?

IMG_0878.JPG

IMG_0881.JPG

BR,
TR

Attachments

• IMG_0878.JPG
    IMG_0878.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 1,885
  • IMG_0881.JPG
    IMG_0881.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 1,885
I think you probably have a number 82 - this was almost the same as the number 88 that you found in my old post about cleaning saws, except that it had a straight back, not the Disston style skew back.

S&J introduced their 'Spearior' range some time in the early 1930s. Evidence for this comes from old catalogues. A trowel collector - Mark Stansbury - has an excellent blog here:

http://trowelcollector.blogspot.co.uk/

which includes scans of many catalogues, including some by S&J. There is a clearly dated one from 1923, which does not include the Spearior range and also a later one, which he estimates to be from 1930, which announces them as new, the product of twenty years of research.

They were good saws and sold well - presumably in direct competition to the imported Disstons. The latest catalogue I have seen which lists them is from 1961, but by then there was only the 88 pattern of Spearior handsaw, not the 82.

In his book on saws, Simon Barley illustrates the same medallion that my saw has, with a yellow ring around it, and dates it to about 1950, so that is probably the time that your saw came from.

Thanks a lot. That calatog and whole page was just what I needed. I am really obsessed with old tool catalogs. Time goes by when starting to looking at those.

I have not had any sparetime to finish that cleaning, but when I really try to look that etching, it could be just that number 8 under that blindspot. That saw book looks quite interesting. Must check that sometime. Thanks again.

BR,
TR

Not wanting to hijack sorry but it is related sort of.

My Son is a Tattooist and was looking to make the old Tattoo removal saw sign for the shop.. A bit like this..

7febc2ee425e5409fd67cd3aefb361d6.jpg

Anyway after a trip to the Sunday car boot he ended up buying a banana box full of old saws..

After looking through there was one modern plastic handled thing that went in the bin, and 6 S&J saws. they all looked rusty but a closer look showed that whoever put them away last had coated the blades with a wax type substance.. And I have to say I've been using one the past few days and it's as sharp as a razor..

I'm even thinking of getting a few of them professionally sharpened as it seems to hold an edge much better than any saw I've used for years.. and he only paid a tenner for the whole box..I'd be interested to know if there is any real value to the saws..

I use an S&J panel saw and it's a nice user's tool. It's got a traditional nib at the toe end of the saw plate. Anyone any idea when S&J dropped the nib?

It take quite a lot time to start to cleaning this, but now it's done. Only sharpening is leff.

Have you any better knowledge, when Spearior 82's were made? I found one saw maintenance quide from 1953 and there were not anymore 82. So maybe those were made between 1930 to start of 1950.

I could not insert any pictures. I need to check this out tomorrow.....

Now i got it working again...

IMG_3173.JPG

IMG_3177.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3173.JPG
    IMG_3173.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 889
  • IMG_3177.JPG
    IMG_3177.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 889
Not sure but I've S&J with the same extra badge around the medaillon. That saw was the 200 year special edition from 1960.

So maybe this helps.

Cheers
Pedder

So they made model 82 again at 60's at special anniversary model. Sound quite interesting.

At 60's or 70's catalogues does not had that model anymore, so regular profuction was ended maybe at 50's.

Back