Speaker cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony
if you havent already started building check out:

An Introduction to loudspeakers and enclosure design by V. Capel
ISBN 0-85934-201-8 1st published 1988, r&r 1991, 3rd print 1993

lots of meaningless equations to me , so you would feel right at home :D

the section on KappelMeister Enclosures is very interesting.

it basically uses a multi chambered labyrinth design to amplify the sound so smaller loudspeaker units can be used.

its an oldish book, so if you cant get hold of a copy / or source the info on the net, you could always give me a shout and you can borrow my copy..

When I was heavily into Hi-Fi 70s-80s still got most of the gear sadly I got rid of my Mitchell Hydraulic Reference Turntable with the demise of Vinyl the recommendation for speaker cabinets was High Density MDF not ordinary MDF, dont know if this is available to the public as I have never seen it advertised

johnelliott":30bli6ad said:
There is one parameter of speaker cabinet design that can be controlled by enthusiastic music lovers and woodworkers, and that is cabinet size. Quite simply, the bigger the better...
...with the demise of Vinyl...
k-horns.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Birch ply is too stiff and will vibrate at certain frequencies and not others, therefore colouring the sound...MDF will have far less effect on the sound, which is what you want
As was mentioned, everything will resonate at differing freq. As in most things, there are tradeoffs and workarounds.

Same with amps, preamps, and ... well, every component of which speakers are but one part.

As regards the Klipschhorns, guaranteed my neighbors walls will vibrate before one can detect the speakers resonating...

Take care, Mike

Mike said
guaranteed my neighbors walls will vibrate before one can detect the speakers resonating...

To avoid speaker enclosure resonance it is best not to build any at all. Just beat through the appropriate size holes in your walls and mount your speakers directly to vent to the outside, or to your neighbours lounge if you live in a terraced house. :D :D :D

Tony - I too will one day replace my large Kef's with something more modest. Because I have no confidence that I will get it right first time I intend to build a couple of mock ups first to audition. Now these will still need to be solidly built but not to such a finish and standard as your final version. It goes without saying that manufactures would gone through several prototypes before getting it right.

Just a thought

David

Tony":2le32rv8 said:
One pays the money and makes your choice - £5/m for me.
If people think they can hear a difference with £50/m cables, fair play to them - it can't be measured though and they are probably the only ones who can hear it :wink:

Wireless World ran a spoof article many years ago in the age of vinyl written by a George Izzard O'Veering. He went back to first principles and took the typical fortissimo sound level in a concert hall and what sort of speakers would be needed for an identical authentic sound level. Turned out that speaker cones had to be made from titanium to handle the peak volume and velocity. The heat sink for the monster amplifiers became one of the lounge central heating radiators which had the benefit of heating the rest of the house..no need for a boiler!

Acoustic feedback was a bit of a problem and solved by siting the record deck in the garden shed. The only trouble then being to remember to have the volume turned down before you lowered the pickup arm otherwise the windows of the listening room blew out! :D

Back