Spax Screws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After all that I have read about impact drivers,I keep looking at them and trying to justify buying one.
Haven't managed to yet,but I'm still working on it :wink:

Andrew

Losos":347s1ezj said:
OK off to the shops tomorrow to get one :) wonder what SWMBO will say when she sees it 8-[

Sneak it in round the back.

The Elu I've got is now made in Dewalt clothing and I can recommend that, although I'm sure other makes are just as good. If you can get one which shares batteries and charger with your drill, that's useful (or maybe get a 'naked' impact driver to save some cash).

I bought some DeWalt batteries off the 'Bay a couple of weeks ago. Got offered free shipping if I bought a power tool too so got a 14.4v DeWalt Impact Driver as well (there are slippery slopes everywhere you look).
Used it this weekend to put some 4in screws through some 6x2's. Nothing too it - no cam out (even using posidrives), no wrist twisting, just went straight in. Absolutely fantastic tool.
Only two minor drawbacks - the hammering noise is annoying (but nowhere near as annoying as trying to get in 4in screws in any other way). Also I wonder if I should have got a smaller/light model. The 14.4v has absolutely tons of power, I imagine a 12v one would be more than adequate and probably lighter.
Darren

Darren D":1n8znntn said:
Also I wonder if I should have got a smaller/light model. The 14.4v has absolutely tons of power, I imagine a 12v one would be more than adequate and probably lighter.

I have a Makita 12v impact driver, about the only thing I use it for (I make and install kitchens) is to screw in 120mm hammer-in fixings for wall units. It's far to powerful for anything else I do. I had hoped to use it for pockets screws into birch ply, but by the time I've managed to let go of the trigger the screw is out through the other side (almost).
If only they would bring out an impact driver with adjustable torque, I would be first in the queue

John

johnelliott":3at6cz76 said:
It's far to powerful for anything else I do. I had hoped to use it for pockets screws into birch ply, but by the time I've managed to let go of the trigger the screw is out through the other side (almost).

Sounds like it isn't very well designed at all then. The elu has a nice smooth analogue trigger control of the speed, right down to one 'hit' every half-second or so which is dead-slow - as well as a rotary 1-8 'master' speed control on the top of the body. Between those it has enough control to do anything a normal drill can do and more.

Jake":3plwscwl said:
johnelliott":3plwscwl said:
It's far to powerful for anything else I do. I had hoped to use it for pockets screws into birch ply, but by the time I've managed to let go of the trigger the screw is out through the other side (almost).

Sounds like it isn't very well designed at all then. The elu has a nice smooth analogue trigger control of the speed, right down to one 'hit' every half-second or so which is dead-slow - as well as a rotary 1-8 'master' speed control on the top of the body. Between those it has enough control to do anything a normal drill can do and more.

I'm very interested to hear that, sounds like I need to try another make . Thanks for the advice
John

Back