Spalted Monkey Puzzle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vic Perrin

Established Member
Reaction score
I brought a monkey puzzle tree a few years ago and decided to have a go at one of the smaller diameter pieces.
This is 8" diam x 6" tall. It has been sanded to 400 grit but I have not decided what finish to put on it yet.

I have some 20" diam sections that should be fun to turn

Vic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 1,107
Hi vic
As Always nice form well Turned send it to wales if Your Unsure........ :D :D :D :D :D
Regards
Bill

Bit of a newbie question but that looks like you put the faceplate chuck or whatever against end grain rather than side grain, is that the case? Never understood why it doesn't mention doing that in my book as it seems the easiest way to turn a cylindrical log.

Fat ferret":4o8ps1wr said:
Bit of a newbie question but that looks like you put the faceplate chuck or whatever against end grain rather than side grain, is that the case? Never understood why it doesn't mention doing that in my book as it seems the easiest way to turn a cylindrical log.

Yep you got it it is done end grain so that you get the branch wood showing around the circumference of the bowl.

I have done other bowls end grain and you can get some really nice features showing through.

Vic

Fat ferret":1acnmt8s said:

As Vic says, with eg Monkey Puzzle, it lends itself to turning this way, whereas most grain shows off best when turned 'side on' for eg platter or bowl, as you can see more of the grain pattern on the flat surface.

Hope that makes sense!

Vic ,lovely piece and very well turned , I think you got the best out of the piece .
I'm not sure how or what they use for finishing now , but I think it would look nice with a little shine on it .

Thanks for showing

Back