Spalted Beech oblong bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyturner

Established Member
Reaction score
As promised one Spalted Beech oblong bowl 10" x 6 1/2" x 2" with a polish finish there were quite a few very soft bits to sort out and the dark brown stripe was almost all eaten away so quite a bit of ca was used to stabilize it but it was a good challenge and really enjoyable all comments welcome

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 1,251
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 1,251
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 1,251
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 1,251
Hi Woody

I like that a lot - spalted beech is one of my favourite woods and I think the bowl looks 'right' with the grain running along the length, (unlike the mahogany one posted earlier with the grain running across the length).

Regards Mick

Good control of wing thickness Woody.
Amazing how something so rotten can have so much character.
Good and varied spalting in that piece, plenty of clean contrasts.

That is one seriousley beautiful piece of wood. It's been said before, but I have to say it again, it is amazing that such beauty can be present in what is at the end of the day a diseased log.
I have to say that I am not really a fan of winged bowls aesthetically, but I can appreciate the skill and effort that goes into them and spalted beech does it for me every time.
Thanks for sharing Woody. I hope that one day I will have half as much wood turning talent as you. 8)

bodge":y7k3yef2 said:
That is one seriousley beautiful piece of wood. It's been said before, but I have to say it again, it is amazing that such beauty can be present in what is at the end of the day a diseased log.
I have to say that I am not really a fan of winged bowls aesthetically, but I can appreciate the skill and effort that goes into them and spalted beech does it for me every time.
Thanks for sharing Woody. I hope that one day I will have half as much wood turning talent as you. 8)

I couldn't have put it any better. +1

Back