Spalding Show lots of pics

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpt

Established Member
Reaction score
Here are the pictures from todays show.

It was a good day with lots of people I am exhausted so no energy to sort or label them.
DSCF2917.jpg

DSCF2913.jpg

DSCF2911.jpg

DSCF2910.jpg

DSCF2909.jpg

DSCF2908.jpg

DSCF2907.jpg

DSCF2906.jpg

DSCF2905.jpg

DSCF2904.jpg

DSCF2903.jpg

100_0431.jpg

100_0429.jpg

100_0428.jpg

100_0427.jpg

Thanks for taking the pics John. That guy in the last pic is from the AWGB, I chatted with him at length about turning a couple of years ago at Ally Pally. Lovely bloke.

Les Thorn can't make his mind up about his hair style ;)

Who is the table of turned work that is coloured? I'm guessing Nick Agar?

The coloured work is Bob Niels he is in the picture above bent over the work table

john

i recognised the coloured work as bob neils as he came to our club 2 weeks ago doing a pyrography lesson.
The show looks good, shame i have to work..

Twas a good weekend. I had several people coming up to me to say how much they enjoyed my writing and vids. Very affirming, good for the soul. And the other demonstrators were a right good bunch and we have laughed and laughed and laughed.

But this morning I can audition for Old Man River and I'm wearing someone else's feet.

I have a few pics, including some of Colin Hickman's superb carved sticks. I'll post as soon as I've emptied my car and got myself sorted.

Cheers
Steve

Just about recovered from the weekend after a good nights sleep, good to meet you Steve and a number of others from the forum.

It was a good show just a pity there werent more visitors I think they just got unlucky with the dates this year due to world cup, the new government etc all contributing.

Next years show is the 10th to 12th June so make a note in your diary.

It was heavy on the turning side but they are trying to rectify this but are having problems finding people to do demos and take stands. if you have any ideas the organisers would love to hear from you they can be contacted through their web site at http://www.wws1.co.uk/

john

Spalding the latest destination on the curry tour & as always a woodie event to justify it :lol: :lol:

Dave L flanked either side by Steve, Jonlar (the curry munchers)

CIMG5121.jpg

Who let that bloke in the shot?

CIMG5122.jpg

Jonlar inspecting a folding wall saw, i`ve got some bungees in the van mate! :lol:

CIMG5124.jpg

Terry & the back of Tony Iles

CIMG5125.jpg

& a couple of pieces that floated my boat.

CIMG5127.jpg

CIMG5129.jpg

A very enjoyable afternoon, hopefully the show will continue & grow.

Also highly recommended the India Inn (?) on the Old Boston road.

Thanks chaps for another enjoyable afternoon & evening, great pick Mr Jon.

Doug.

PS are we now officially the Steve Maskery road crew? :lol: :lol:

Doug B":6zeavbsp said:
PS are we now officially the Steve Maskery road crew? :lol: :lol:

If the cap fits.. :)

I can tell you now that I'd forgotten that we had arranged to go for a curry. I was looking forward to getting home and into bed and when I realized I hadn't the heart to say I was too knackered. I'm glad now, as it was a smashing evening. Good food and good company. Interesting journey home, I've never driven through an electrical storm before!

And thanks for the help, guys, much appreciated.

S

John Pizey. He's a hoot. I've not laughed so much for ages. He regaled us of his hotel guests dying on him in the middle of the night (but it was OK, the death was after midnight so he could charge an extra day) and 35' Christmas trees being carried in the back of a 12' tranny. Hilarious bloke. And he fixed my chair when I bashed it. Thanks John, much appreciated.
12w8af.jpg

Bob Neill, lots of colourful bowls and round stuff.
12w8a7.jpg

Colin Hickman. Great fun once you can understand a word he says. Makes your average norther sound like the Queen.
12w8cw.jpg

ANd this is some of his astonishing work. They look real.
12w8a3.jpg

12w8as.jpg

12w8c0.jpg

I just wish I'd taken the tripod for my camera :(

All in all a knackering but enjoyable weekend.

I spent an enjoyable day at the show. Lucky someone else had a camera to prove it, I charged mine and then left it on the kitchen table on the way out. :oops:

It was good to meet up with Steve, Jon and Doug, who deserve thanks for transporting on stuff to another forum member for me.

I spent time watching Les turning, power carving, burning and painting several bits of wood, good results but the jokes don't improve with age. :roll:
While Reg gave a whole lesson on turning a pen, complete with tool control and sharpening, he does make it all look so easy.

I got chatting with a very nice chap about pen and pencil turning, it was only after 20 minutes I realised it was Phil Irons. The kits he was selling are not cheap but the quality is superb, made in Germany.

Joined a lesson on sharpening carving tools that Steve was getting from Colin, with the kit Tony Iles was selling he produced a very fine edge that cut timber like a hot knife through butter.

Managed not to buy any more tools, just a tin of the new micro crystalline wax and some acrylic pen blanks from Terry and 4 bits of wood 2 of which were free pen blanks. :D

DaveL":599v678s said:
I spent time watching Les turning, power carving, burning and painting several bits of wood, good results but the jokes don't improve with age. :roll:

:lol:

Sounds like a good show.

Those Phil Irons pen kits sound good, I was looking at them the other day. I'm just not sure about the 'all wood' look. Which I realise is a bizarre statement. But the lack of metal bling makes them look a bit plain to me. I might try them to see.

wizer":3bhqnpfw said:
I'm just not sure about the 'all wood' look. Which I realise is a bizarre statement. But the lack of metal bling makes them look a bit plain to me. I might try them to see.

i agree tom, i think the wooden pens need something to lift / enhance the wood, i find the whole wood look a bit bland..

Wow...that looks like a seriously credit card damaging show.....

Just from the photos I know I would have bought some things....Classic Hand Tools...them Microplane jobbies...really want one of those...and more of your videos Steve...

I am a sucker at these shows for buying something to take home...

Thanks for the pictures...they really tell the story of the show and make you want to go next year.

Jim

Back