Southern Woodturning Symposium - thanks Rob!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stiggy

Established Member
Reaction score
Well not exactly but myself and Damian went round Random Orbital Bob's house today to see how he does things.

A BIG thank you to Rob for taking time to carefully explain absolutely LOADS of stuff and to Damian for bringing the choccy biccies?

Being in Rob's workshop gave me a lot to think about, it helped to show me what I need to do to get to the next level.

He gave me some beautiful wood, two bowl blanks ...and he put a GREAT grind on my beloved Crown 3/8" bowl gouge too!

What a bloke!

=D>

Very kind Stiggy :) Thoroughly enjoyable meeting up with you both. There's nothing like a bit of energy and enthusiasm for the craft and to add to that, a cuppa and some biccys in a man cave on a weekend, despite the freezing cold. Your skill is developing fast, so I'm positive the forum will want you to keep posting your work so we can see you evolve...and you too Damian, once you get some of the necessary tools. Thanks for the biccys and I hope your drives weren't too bad in this hideous weather we're having. Remember chaps, fel free to post your questions up here as you learn because all the membership at the same stage as you benefit from the responses and there is no such thing as a silly question because we all have to start at the beginning right? I remember being absolutely overwhelmed by the jargon for this that and the other....steb centre, deep fluted, face grain, morse taper etc ...it's a language all its own and it takes a few months for it all to sink in and become familiar. But the penny drops and quite quickly if you read plenty, watch YT, join a club.

At our club we have practical days on a Sunday about once every 3 months (often at my place) where we turn a project that afternoon. They're great learning experiences and good fun too.

You're both welcome to join my club and as I say (and this goes for all forum members) we're having a free open taster on March 2nd at 7:30 in Bracknell where you can turn up and turn on club lathes with club mentors. That way you get some advice and a chance to try the craft with no investment, see if it's right for you.

The club meets once a month and we usually have a pro turner demonstrate something, a competition and raffle and tea, about 35 of us generally.

Thanks Bob, really learned a lot today. I showed my wife some of your work and she was very impressed (more so than the reaction I got from my dovetails).

Great afternoon was had by all and I look forward to developing my skills, maybe next time I'm driving up to Finch I may, just may have my chisels in the car lol.....

Good to meet you both and thanks for putting up with a newbie!

Damo, you're more than welcome to bring any new tools round for their first grind to establish the preferred profile. To be honest it's a bit of a nightmare to start with so some assistance is welcome. I spent many hours wading through information to determine what kind of grind might suit my style and in the end pretty much followed the established norms. The problem is knowing what the established "norms" are because though everybody talks about a "fingernail" ground gouge, there isn't really a standard. The only standard for gouges I'm aware of is the regular factory grind of a 45 degree bevel and a straight across grind giving the same profile as a roughing gouge. That would be the same as the Crown deep fluted gouge that Stiggy brought to which I swept back the wings. Now I swept them back to what I consider to be a useful and maintainable amount given Stiggy's stage. I didn't go too far as it would make it more difficult for him to repeat the grind once he's back home. But that's my opinion, not a standard. Of course most of the tool manufacturers also sell a fingernail ground gouge and in particular Robert Sorby's fingernail factory grind can be replicated exactly using the pro edge. But again, not a standard, just Sorby's opinion on the "average".

So one cant get away from the necessity to tackle the thinking through and learning of how to manage fingernail grinding so you can get a decent edge which you can repeat every time you need to freshen it, which as you saw with me yesterday is frequently to be both safe and to avoid a lot of sanding. A man called Bill who is infinitely wiser than I once told me don't do a grind until you know why you're doing it! That sounds silly but when you start to delve into the "dark side" and somebody shows you a celtic or Ellsworth grind, you will have a rush of "gouge envy" and start removing metal at an alarming rate. So that's the best advice I can give, know why you're after a particular grind before you start.

So what I'm saying is by all means nip over whenever you're passing with whatever tools you need attention and we can get them set up. I run my business from home so am around here most of the time.

Hi Bob, I will take you up on your offer to accompany me to axminster, I went there today and the selection blew my head off! I ended up staying down the sharpening section, picked up a rider sharpening kit which (after spending a couple of hours in the workshop) seems no better or worse than the scary sharp method, much less faff though. I'd have liked to have spent a bit longer there but my 5 year old managed to knock a mitre saw off a stand.... someone had undone the clamps!

I picked up some Garry block too, it's wonderful stuff, thanks for the heads up!

Well done Random Orbital Bob it is good to see people help those on the learning curve I wish I had someone to help me when I first started

Random Orbital Bob":2tytg2mt said:
excellent. Let me know when you want to go :)

Any excuse to go shopping worse than any woman :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back