Sourcing a clear bevel bezel dome face cover

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's just flat and round then look for watch Crystal or watch glass on e bay. I buy dozens every year and in my experience Cousins are actually quite expensive. You need to measure it accurately as they are typically sold in increments of 0.1mm. For this I would probably go for acrylic rather than glass. It won't break easily and if it's slightly too large can be easily reduced by rubbing round the edge with some wet and dry paper. You don't mention how it is fixed. Modern watch crystals are generally pressed in, and with a gasket surrounding them in the waterproof variety. You really need a proper press to do this. Older ones and pocket watches are generally glued in. I use clear Araldite for these. If the glass fits in a recess in the bezel, like a watch then put the glass in first then use a needle or similar to run a bead of glue around the edge and rub it into the space around the edge of the glass with a smooth tool, or your finger. Then carefully remove any excess from the bezel and glass with a damp lint free cloth or paper wipe. If you try and apply glue to the bezel or the glass before you put them together you will end up with a right mess. Applying glue to the glass before it goes in is a technique that is often used, but takes practice to do correctly without getting glue on the inside, which looks dreadful.

When Lathe User said "clock gauge" I took that to mean a dial indicator used for measurements in the metal trades. Sometimes referred to a a clock or clocking a part. Like these. dial indicator . The plastic covers snap into place in the metal ring which is normally held in with a snap ring of one sort or another. They are thinner than watch crystals, usually about a millimetre, so I doubt one could be substituted. If the indicator is one of the bigger brands like Mitutoyo, Starrett, Fowler etc they will have spare parts that can be bought for the indicator series. If it is an offshore cheapy then the links I posted earlier will be the way to go.

Pete

Thank you Fergie really helpful. The acrylic is domed 1 mm thick and 52.4 diameter and just presses into the ring.
Yes Pete you are quite right I did mean a dial indicator.
Apologies for the confusion.
Mine is a Mitutoyo.
I have sent an email to the uk site but so far no response.
Hedging my bets (it’s an old model) I thought I would see if I could source one elsewhere, just in case but it seems above 50 mm and only wanting one of them makes it much more difficult.
Should i be lucky enough to find one slightly larger I am wondering if using Fergie s idea I might “down size “ it

Very quick look on e bay and clocks-uk do a 52 and a 52.5 for £9.99 each, although both are hardened 1mm low dome glass as opposed to acrylic. You can resize glass ones, certainly by 0.1mm. Just rub the edge all the way round on the side of an oilstone. I am sure if you have a harder look you will also be able to find acrylic ones. Watch glasses or crystals are usually referred to by a number, so 52mm is a 520, 52.5 is a 525 and so on. Many sellers only do 0.5mm increments at these bigger sizes.

Back