Sourcing 1/2 to 3/4" wood for scrolling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shiny conker

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and hoping that you may have some advice to offer. I have been scrolling for a few years now and still struggle to find any wood thin enough to use for my designs. Does anyone have any ideas where I can find any?

I am a female woodworker and love all things wood, including the smell :) . I have a DeWalt 788 Scroll Saw and enjoy doing segmentation/intarsia [cutting my patterns from one piece of wood]. I find 1" wood quite hard to cut -Im not sure if my saw needs adjusting as I encounter a lot of vibration and wood jumping. Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Many thanks
Di

Hello Di and welcome. Here, let me sweep off some sawdust so you can sit down.

So, you like the smell of wood. You're gonna fit in just swell ;-)

1/2" plywood is fairly easy to find so I'm assuming that you mean 1/2" - 3/4" hardwood like oak etc?

You can sometimes find off-cuts and randomly sized 'packs' on ebay but personally, I'd prefer to choose my wood (as wood is a living thing) so that I can choose straight, flat and nicely grained pieces and avoid those bits with defects and cracks.

You're very close to Yandles at Martock http://www.yandles.co.uk/ which, prior to moving to Germany, I have visited on many occasions. Its essentially a wood yard but they have expanded it to encompass several crafts and they have a lot of interesting stuff on site. There is also a cafe and a huge tool shop and they have woodworking shows twice a year so you can see demonstrations and pick up a few bargains. Visiting wood yards can feel intimidating but the staff at Yandles are good and pretty much leave you alone to wander around the wood yard on your own. I haven't been there for a couple of years but they used to have a brilliant 'bargain bin' which contained lots of off-cuts and I've picked up lots of A4 sized oak and mahogany blanks. The slight downside is that some of it has a rough edge so may need some sanding before use although, if you're cutting out patterns you'll be able to avoid defects etc.

If you find some great wood but want a specific thickness of wood you're only hope really is to run it through a thicknesser. Maybe you know someone with one or, if you're going to use it often, put one on your Christmas List. They start at around £250. You wouldn't need an all-singing-all-dancing machine, just something to take off the surface roughness and take it down to your desired thickness. Your desired thickness of wood shouldn't be a problem with any model but if you're considering getting one make sure you get one that will handle your width of wood. Typically I think they tend to range between 7" - 10" and they produce lots of sawdust and shavings. Get yourself some ear defenders too!!!

Some of the other guys have bought stuff from here http://www.britishhardwoods.co.uk/timber/thin-wood.html and this looks interesting http://www.britishhardwoods.co.uk/thin- ... n-oak.html

Depending on what you want to cut, there's always http://www.alwayshobbies.com/materials/wood/panels there's also http://www.exotichardwoods.co.uk/Woods_ ... xmaker.asp

Bear in mind that wood is pretty heavy so if you're going to be buying online, check the shipping rates.

I'm sure other would be very happy to add their comments and recommendations so I'll push off and get the coffee on. Good luck and pop into see us whenever you like. We also like to see each others work so don't be shy ;-)

Barry

Thanks for the reply Barry it has also helped me. Di I started looking around for boards for scrolling after watching a Steve Good video when he bought a load of A4 sized scrolling blanks of various woods and he was extolling the virtues of buying off eBay but he lives in the USA where there are quite a few sellers offering this service. In the UK and Europe I have not found one person doing this and with me living up near Inverness have come to the conclusion that I have to become self sufficient. As the Tax man was nice to me the other week I bought a new bandsaw which will cut up to 9 inches under the guides I luckily all ready have the planer/thicknesser. Now I need how to find out how to season large bits of wood I manage to season pen blank size wood in a microwave but am going to study Brians links he put up recently managed to get hold of some Cherry yesterday.

Hi
Thanks so much for the really useful replies. I will certainly give Yandles a look. Old furniture is also a really good idea.

I look forward to reading more posts on here.

Di

:)

Aargh! Thanks for the warning Brian!

Good idea Peter but unfortunately don't know any kitchen fitters :lol:

I will keep looking

Thanks
Di

Milverton Sawmills have (had) the best Western Red Cedar I have ever used and cut it to your specs--- you will have to dry the wood but well worth it.
WRC takes stain better than most woods

Back