Source of router 'type' motor for project?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlynH

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am looking to improve the design of a tool I currently use - it is an American made 120v 60Hz hand-held polishing type tool :roll:

It has a no-load speed of around 24,000 rpm at 5-6A but is extremely powerful for its size at around 2000w input (1300w output) rated at 1.75hp and pulling about 11A under load.

Its physical size is roughly 85mm x 140mm excluding motor shaft protruberence of around 25mm

This original motor is a fixed speed type but it would be good to have some sort of electronic speed control if at all possible. 8)

Looking around it would appear that the best option would be a motor from a router because of its speed & power.

Doing further research I have found that in the main the closest motors in spec to which I need are from DeWalt & Makita - the problem is that the particular models, DW618 & RF1101 are American tools and are not available in the UK. :cry:

A couple of others are the Milwaukee 5615 & Porter Cable 690 both of which are also American tools...

These seem ideal because they are the familiar 'round' motor shape rather than the irregular shaped motors usually found in plunge routers to accomodate the guide shafts.

Does anybody know if;

a: there is a UK 110v equivalent motor
b: there is a UK distributor for any of the above motors
c: there is another suitable tool/motor/manufacturer I have not found yet! :oops:

Interestingly I can see different bases for the DeWalt DW618 but nowhere that supplies the motor on its own. :?

I am prepared to buy a complete tool to cannibalise the motor if that motor is suitable just so I can build a prototype.

That motor however would have to be available as a spare part as there may be a requirement to manufacture more if the outcome is successful.

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-

PS. Just found the Bosch GMF1400CE so that could be added to the shortlist above.

I think the motor you are looking for are the one's that use the switchable fixed base and plunge base. If this is the case, then you can now get a Bosch model which has been widely available now in the UK for quite a while, can't think of the model no. though, I think it's a something 1400.

jonathan.

For the small CNC market, Porter Cable makes 220v motors that fit in the 690 base. I picked up a couple last time I was in the States, which saves me having to fiddle with my "big yellow box" every time I want to "take the edge off."

The ones I found were both single speed 2 1/4 HP. To see what's available (in terms of PC parts), try here.

Thanks, Jim

Back