Source of replacement cutterhead?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heimlaga

Established Member
Reaction score
There is a Jonsered thicknesser with 60 cm capacity for sale locally. The design looks rather modern otherwise and it seems to have antikickback fingers and a fully enclosed drivetrain but the head is an old style square head. The price is a little above scrap value. Jonsered has a reputation on the same level as Wadkin and Sagar and Robinson so it is certainly a high quality machine though rather old.

I already have a Stenberg KEV 600 combination (60 cm capacity) but as we all know who use theese Swedish style combionations the upside down mode of thicknessing is a bit fiddly when doing large batches or heavy workpieces. On the other hand the surfacing function is excellent on theese machines.

The question is whether or not I should bring this old thicknesser home and put it in storage in some barn just as a precaution just in case my business outgrows my combination machine............ and to answer that question I need to know what the Jonsered thicknesser would cost to upgrade with a modern 3 or 4 knife gibbed head or why not a Tersa head to minimize downtime.
Any suggestions?

I had a quote to change the standard cutter block on my rojek thicknesser, (which is 410 mm long) to a Tersa knife block
And that was a £950.00 + vat.

Then it wouldn't be worth the effort to convert the old thicknesser...... unelerss I stuble on a secondhand head somewhere.

One can get an old 600mm thicknesser with a 3 or 4 knife gibbed head for the kind of money a conversion would cost.

Back