Source of long drill bits / handled bits for through boring?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaz_XB9R

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where to get boring / drilling tools with handles used to drill through a tail stock?

Or do you folks put the handles on yourselves. If so where do you get drill bits long enough?

I'm making a couple of handles for lathe tools and need to bore for the blade.

By the way is epoxy gluing the best way to go?

Cheers,
Gaz

hello you can get long hole auger like this
or this
but if i understand right and your wanting to make your own tool handles, I normally drill mine out with an electric drill after turning the handle or you can turn the handle then replace the drive center with a jacobs chuck with a drill bit in it - locate the bit on center and with the lathe set very slow wind the tailstock in so that you drill to your required depth.

as for epoxy i never use it, i prefer to make them a tight fit and if they need to be tighter still drive a screw in to swell the wood between the tang and ferrule.

Gaz,

Are you talking about handles for tanged tools like chisels??

If yes I do more or less a Corny says, but stepped hole sizes matching but smaller than the tang.

Then I grip the chisel in a metal vice & heat up the end of the tang until nearly red. Then push on the handle. The tang then burns its hole. sometimes you need a tap with a mallet & you have to be quick. All mine are rock solid.

Hi Gaz.

I'm the same as cornucopia, I use a Crown lamp auger, but I have also used hand made augers.

How I did it. Take the drill size you want, grind the chuck end away a little and weld a long steel rod onto it. The major problem is that you have to clear the hole much more than when using a conventional auger, otherwise it binds in the hole very quickly.

If the hole you want is over approx. 1/2" do the same as above, but use a cheap fostner bit welded to a rod.

If you can weld, this is the way to go. Good luck.

Back