Source for M8 x 35 Suki or similar hanger bolts?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ondablade

Established Member
Reaction score
The plan is to start hanging the ductwork for my dust system (just picked the parts up today) in the next few weeks. I can source some nice low cost split circle/bolt together hanger brackets to suit locally. They have an M8 x 15 deep female threaded socket welded to the top side.

I found exactly what i need to mount these these to the T&G floor that is the ceiling above. I think they are called hanger bolts - but there's no name on the examples i found.

They are basically a stud with a Torx socket in one end - the M8 x 18 long male thread is cut on this end (like the Allen key socket in a grub screw), there's a heavy parallel sided woodscrew of about 6mm dia cut on the other end.

The threaded woodscrew section needs to be 15 - 18mm long to suit the thickness of the T&G floor. (don't wants points protruding through it all over the place)

Given that there is an unthreaded section in the middle of the fastener, and that the example i found is listed by Suki as M8 x 50 (the latter number is the total length of the piece) it seems like the ones i need are probably M8 x 35.

My sample is sold by Suki International, but they only seem to come in 4 packs at the daft price of about €2.50 each. The Suki site doesn't go down to that level of detail.

Does anybody have any idea where i might source a more trade type box of 200 - 250 at a reasonable price?

Thanks

PS this type of stud looks like it would be very useful for making up fixtures - run the woodscrew end into a wooden part, and you're left with a nice metric threaded stud standing free for e.g. a clamping knob. You can of course tap the wood to suit M8, but this would be much faster....

Maybe the reason i'm having problems finding anything Jake is that i've been searching for 'hanger bolts'....

Looks very close Jake, but two issues - the Torx socket in the end of the Suki item would make driving very handy.

So far there doesn't seem to be a socket at the end or a choice of a short woodscrew section on the dowel bolts i've found - probably unlikely if they are made for joining curtain poles and the like.

My sense is that it would be fine to simply screw up into the T&G - provided the hangers are not spaced too far apart.

Your suggestion is a good one though - if i can't get shorter examples of the Suki item there is the option to screw them through say ply squares to take up some extra thread. Some glue on the squares before running them tight up against the T&G would mean the squares would double as reinforcements as you suggest. Plus this way by needing fewer hangers there would be fewer of the duct clamps needed.

That's a banker... (oops - wrong term to use these days)

Alternatively, ignore the M8 thread, and just screw up through the hole.

Thanks again John. You'd never have a problem moving a duct over a bit with that anyway John. It'd be good to stop vibration transmission too...

Latest posts

Back