Source for 1-1/4" x 8tpi nuts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woodmonkey":nkow14o3 said:
Anyone know where I can find nuts as in the title (and washers)…?
Thanks
8 tpi on a 1¼" is non-standard so I suspect that you will need to have them specially made.

As JPT suggests, Sterling may well be in a position to source them but you will need to specify the thread form and 'full' or 'half' nut as well as the O/D and TPI. Washers are no problem at all, they would simply be made by drilling/boring a 1-3/8" hole in 2½" bar and parting off at 0.165" thick.

If it is an American Unified form (60°) then it would fall in to the 'uniform pitch' series but even then it is a 'non-preferred' size.

Should you only need one or two then it may be cheaper to find a local small engineering shop.

JG

It's the thread on a nova lathe, strange they should use a non standard size...think teknatool might be Australian or kiwis maybe it's normal over there

Woodmonkey":341ng5pn said:
It's the thread on a nova lathe, strange they should use a non standard size...think teknatool might be Australian or kiwis maybe it's normal over there

Not strange at all - 'proprietory' is the name of the game -

It's not a 'bolt' that others need to fit their nuts to so they can make it whatever size they deem appropriate - and charge whatever they like for a mating component (chuck - faceplate . . . )

The 1-1/8" x 12, 7/8 x 16, 1 x 10, 1½ x 8, 1¼ x 9 and 33mm x 3.5mm are all non standard but are offered by Axi for their SK114 Chuck. The larger Record Power lathes also have 1-1/4 x 8 - it still doesn't make it 'Standard' as far as thread systems go.

It now intrigues me why you would want a 'nut' to fit your lathe 'nose'.

JG

WM,

I think I know why you're interested!! Could it be that you're thinking of making up some different sized vacuum chucks without having to buy lots of faceplates?

I'll have a trawl as well - if you find somewhere, I'd be happy to share a reasonable cost for some of a batch.

Greg

Yep Greg's got it. By welding a washer to the nut that can then be glued into an appropriately sized disc of MDF with a few screws through the washer I can make up a few different sized vacuum chucks without having my face plate tied up.

Spindle":2u77c1j6 said:
Hi
1 1/4" x 8 TPI is an extra fine unified thread - may help in your searches.
Sorry Mick,

First - There isn't a standard called 'Extra Fine Unified'
Second - 1¼ UNF (the fine series) is 12 tpi - so 8 tpi can't possibly be described as 'Extra Fine'

In the UNC series 1¼ is 7 tpi.

Assuming a 60° form (I have no reason to doubt that) then at best 1¼ x 8 would be designated UNS (S=Special) though as I said before it falls into the 8-UN series.

I've just checked three of the tool suppliers I use and only one of them lists a 1¼x8 Tap - and they suggest it is only suitable for tapping into wood for directly screwing on to the lathe nose. I read this as it being carbon steel rather than HSS and at £23·40 that seems to confirm it.

Whilst I've been researching and writing this post Woodmonkey has confirmed that he want's to make some face-plates for vacuum chucks so I'll sketch something up that could be made from Alum (the Carbon Steel tap would be OK for that) - the idea of welding a washer to a nut might only be an option if the nuts could be obtained 'off the shelf' at a low cost.

JG

Thanks JG, who knew the world of nuts was so complex? There was me thinking it was just either metric or imperial....

Tapping a thread directly into some hardwood could work too?

If I was going to make anything to fit the nose of the lathe and carry turning loads I'd use an ISO chuck backplate, machined for the correct location on spindle register and running true and balanced.
DSCN3772 (Large).JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3772 (Large).JPG
    DSCN3772 (Large).JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 2,335
J-G":fdsqbhy5 said:
Sorry Mick,

Second - 1¼ UNF (the fine series) is 12 tpi - so 8 tpi can't possibly be described as 'Extra Fine'

Doh #-o #-o

Too early in the morning :oops:

50% - 50%

There is a thread standard 'Extra Fine Unified':

http://www.gewinde-normen.de/en/unified ... hread.html

However it's 18 TPI :oops: :oops:

Sorry for misleading the thread

Regards Mick

Woodmonkey":3u145mbj said:
Thanks JG, who knew the world of nuts was so complex? There was me thinking it was just either metric or imperial....

In a former life I was in charge of all threading equipment sold to export by Herbert Small Tools - and still use the knowledge I gained there every day!!

Woodmonkey":3u145mbj said:
Buying a tap from http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/WOOD ... _TAPS.html may well be the cheapest option. Once you have that you could make as many as you need and replace them should the thread wear out.

I did start to sketch up something but the posts from Vic Perrin and YewTube take the wind out of those sails :) there is no way that a small batch of special items could be made at anywhere near $10 each. I would agree with CHJ on his point about 'balance' but the wooden option might address that.

JG

Spindle":35p8augg said:
J-G":35p8augg said:
Sorry Mick,
There is a thread standard 'Extra Fine Unified':
http://www.gewinde-normen.de/en/unified ... hread.html

I should have said 'There isn't an American Standard' :oops:

What the :!: :!: are the Germans doing listing a standard for American threads :?:

I wasn't aware of the ANSI 'Standard' B1.1 - I now see that it was published 1/1/2003 and revised 2008.

JG

J-G":27rkjs5l said:
Woodmonkey":27rkjs5l said:
Buying a tap from http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/WOOD ... _TAPS.html may well be the cheapest option. Once you have that you could make as many as you need and replace them should the thread wear out.

I did start to sketch up something but the posts from Vic Perrin and YewTube take the wind out of those sails :) there is no way that a small batch of special items could be made at anywhere near $10 each. I would agree with CHJ on his point about 'balance' but the wooden option might address that.

JG

JG
So a hardwood faceplate with a thread tapped in may be OK for Wood monkey's idea, (which I plan to shamelessly copy, if OK with him), to make some vacuum chucks for foot finishing?

Is there an opinion as to the most appropriate wood to use, gents?

TIA

Greg

gregmcateer":20s5z8v0 said:
J-G":20s5z8v0 said:
Buying a tap may well be the cheapest option.
JG
So a hardwood faceplate with a thread tapped in may be OK for Wood monkey's idea, (which I plan to shamelessly copy, if OK with him), to make some vacuum chucks for foot finishing?

Is there an opinion as to the most appropriate wood to use, gents?
Greg
I wouldn't go so far as to say it is ideal and I think that you should take great care to not over-tighten when mounting the faceplate but it should work.

I've been successful in tapping smaller threads (M8-M10) into Oak and Teak.

JG

Hi

I've had success in threading beech to 1" but I'd have my reservations with regard to doing it to a faceplate - I'd be a little concerned at the tightening forces exerted by inertia when starting the lathe with work installed. No reason not to go ahead but keep an eye on the condition of the thread in use.

Another consideration would be to insert a thread of lignum vitae or some other very dense hardwood into the face plate

Regards Mick

Back