sour oranges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Buy oranges/clementines/tangerines etc. at the super market and the labels always say sweet and juicy.
Half of them are and the other half are not.

Last night I had one that made my eyes water, so I went and got a tablespoon of castor sugar and dunked each segment in the sugar, I am now looking forward to many more sour oranges.
:wink:

I do not like sour oranges so I always look forward to the short period when Navel oranges are in the shops - they are always sweet?
Wrong - not this year. I have tried 2 lots now from 2 different shops - they were all sour so that's it for another year!
It must be down to the lousy weather?

Rod :)

Harbo":162xz8l3 said:
I do not like sour oranges so I always look forward to the short period when Navel oranges are in the shops - they are always sweet?
Wrong - not this year. I have tried 2 lots now from 2 different shops - they were all sour so that's it for another year!
It must be down to the lousy weather?

Rod :)

No I think its the buyers for the supermarkets, the sweetest go to the highest bidders. I think they mix the qualities some sweet, some sour.
Put a spoonful of sugar on the plate, you will look forward to sour oranges

Waitrose sell normal pears and 'Perfectly Ripe' pears. Go figure.

I like Braeburns but often they have been picked very green. But the elves of Waitrose with their nimble fingers, rotate the apples in the tray so that only the red side faces outwards. However, there are usually a few ripe apples and so I take the time to select them...replacing the unripe ones green side out. Childish but hey! ... gives me a certain catharsis.

RogerS":1amcqnu3 said:
Waitrose sell normal pears and 'Perfectly Ripe' pears. Go figure.

I like Braeburns but often they have been picked very green. But the elves of Waitrose with their nimble fingers, rotate the apples in the tray so that only the red side faces outwards. However, there are usually a few ripe apples and so I take the time to select them...replacing the unripe ones green side out. Childish but hey! ... gives me a certain catharsis.

~~Roger I go much further than that I pull all the boxes out on the deck and go into the best box. (Braeburns)

Me too!!

Isn't it nice when you get cranky in old age and loose all that self conciousness that used to stop you being a real git! :twisted: :twisted:

lurker":2fvuddmg said:
Me too!!

Isn't it nice when you get cranky in old age and loose all that self conciousness that used to stop you being a real git! :twisted: :twisted:

I followed a young bloke to the apple section the other day(around 25 yoa) and there was around 6 rotten/damaged apples laying in the bottom of the box, he took 4 of them. The kids these days are just consumer brainwashed.

John if you have a Waitrose near you try the "large navel orange, Green Ticket" ones (currently on offer) the only ones in our area that we would accept as sweet.

thanks Chas. We got a ~Waitrose in the last few weeks, took over someone elses premises. havent visited yet, heard the prices are different. :)

devonwoody":1s77xo8l said:
heard the prices are different. :)

Yes not exactly the cheapest option but in the main you get what you pay for in quality, look out for which day your local marks down for quick sale. Stock the new freezer up.

Latest posts

Back