Soundproof Plasterboard - How effective for alcoves?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Systematic Renovations

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am after some advice regarding soundproofing.

I have built in wardrobes in the alcoves in my bedroom but I can hear the neighbours talking so would like to attempt some form of soundproofing. I can't add the conventional form of soundproofing of stud wall and rock wool as I would lose too much space inside the wardrobe.

The wardrobe does not have any backing. It is just the plastered wall at the back of the wardrobe so I was wondering if it was worth the time and money to just add 2 sheets of 12.5mm soundproof plasterboard on the back wall or would it not make enough of a difference?

Thanks

Not exactly my forte but I’m assuming it’s a solid party wall . I dont think it would make a significant difference unless you did the entire wall . I can hear my neighbours above my flat and it’s brick built with concrete beams for the floor/ceiling above my flat . Sounds unfortunately can travel especially if your neighbours are generally loud . Hopefully others with a greater understanding of acoustics will help you further.

What would happen if you mounted the plaster boards on the wall with dabs of silkaflex so that any sound would not be transmitted via percussion??
Worth digging around a sound proofing websites!

Adding mass to a wall is great for preventing some frequencies traveling directly through that surface….. but, sound proofing is only as good as it weakest point, you could sound board the wall, 2 layers, green glue in between, sealing any air transfer from those areas… but what about the floor & ceiling in those areas? Unless you can seal them the sound will just transmit through the floor and via the wall below it… or above it.

think of sound like water but it climbs effortlessly and leaps through air…. If air can get there, sound will go.

one of the reasons rock wool is used in combination of mass and air gaps, is to break down the varying highs and low frequencies, the rock wool does little but muffle, but mainly dampens the board mass so it does not turn the air gaps into a box that can resonate, as you cut some frequencies you can amplify others, so the wrong treatment can make the issue worse.

real sound proofing takes space and varying densities… I have built 3 studios over the last 10 years, non achieved true sound proof but I’m getting better… on with studios 4, 5 & 6 later this year.

Last edited:
Adding mass to a wall is great for preventing some frequencies traveling directly through that surface….. but, sound proofing is only as good as it weakest point, you could sound board the wall, 2 layers, green glue in between, sealing any air transfer from those areas… but what about the floor & ceiling in those areas? Unless you can seal them the sound will just transmit through the floor and via the wall below it… or above it.

think of sound like water but it climbs effortlessly and leaps through air…. If air can get there, sound will go.
Green glue you learn something everyday... !👍

Green glue you learn something everyday... !👍
It’s a snotty substance that never truly drys, but sets enough to not sag… it’s great at preventing vibration conduction through hard mass… the biggest problem is it’s terrifyingly expensive…

a good book on the subject is home recording studios build it like the pros by gervais, even though you're not building a studio you'll get a very good idea of what's required and just how hard it is to build and the extra lengths that are required to do it, warning it's not going to be cheap and you can't cut corners.

I live in a terrace and when we redid the back of the house I had the walls lined with soundproof plasterboard. It’s much better than it used to be, not perfect but better. Not sure what other option you have that would help

Hi, I am after some advice regarding soundproofing.

I have built in wardrobes in the alcoves in my bedroom but I can hear the neighbours talking so would like to attempt some form of soundproofing. I can't add the conventional form of soundproofing of stud wall and rock wool as I would lose too much space inside the wardrobe.
I suggest you look at

and

Have seen a video where epa foam, 2 mm stuff used under laminate floors and for packing, was doubled over and glued and sandwiched between the 2 plasterboard sheets. It stopped a lot of the transmission by deadening the sound. Not perfect, but vast improvement and cheap.
If I can find the video again I'll post link.

Have seen a video where epa foam, 2 mm stuff used under laminate floors and for packing, was doubled over and glued and sandwiched between the 2 plasterboard sheets. It stopped a lot of the transmission by deadening the sound. Not perfect, but vast improvement and cheap.
If I can find the video again I'll post link.
You can get thicker like 6-8mm foam which would be more effective.

Glue with a polymer sealant / glue like ebt.

Back