Sorby Deluxe Universal sharpening system?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nads

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone own a ‘Robert Sorby Deluxe Universal sharpening system’, I was considering getting one for sharpening my turning tools, and just wanted peoples opinions? :? The reason I like the look of this system is because I’ll be able to do my standard grinding and my fingernail profile grinding on my gouges. And does anyone know if I could use a Veritas® Grinding Jig http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx ... 3072,45938 on it for grinding chisels and plane blades. As although I use waterstones and Veritas MKII to do most my honing I thought it might be use to be able to use the grinding jig if I wanted to change the bevel angle quickly. :wink:

Thanks guys

Nads

I've got one of the sorby systems bolted to the grinder bench and its been very usefull, simple to use and well made.

Simon

Thanks for your replies guys! :)

Do you think I could use Veritas Grinding Jig on the Sorby universal part of the dexule tool rest, or would I be better off buying the Veritas tool rest and grinding jig and then the Sorby finger profile separately………..sounds expensive? :?

Cheers Nads

Not really one we can answer for you, I don't think. I suppose the Veritas jig could run against the back edge of the Sorby perhaps? FWIW, I have the Veritas jig and rest on my hand-cranked grinder - used for the plane blades and chisels - and it's excellent. But for the powered bench grinder that I use for the turning tools I have the gouge jig on one wheel and a home-made jig (as per Keith Rowley's book) on the other and it does fine for the turning requirements. In fact the large table area of the Rowley-esque jig is preferable for the freehand honing of the roughing gouge and so forth, IMO. Nothing to stop a little ingenuity creating a groove for the Veritas jig in such a rest, I'd have thought... I think personally I'd find losing my angle setting every time I wanted to sharpen a gouge just a little bit annoying too - but maybe you don't with the Sorby? I dunno, as I say, for what it's worth. :roll: :D

Cheers, Alf

Thanks Alf,

I realise that it comes down to personal choice, I was just wondering what type of jigs other people use? Good point about losing your angle everytime I wanted to sharpen a gouge! Maybe the option with the finger profiler on one wheel and then the Veritas jig on the other might be a better comprise! I’ll have a good think about it? Thanks for your views tho Alf, as always you’re more than helpful! :wink:

Cheers

Nads

Taffy Turner,

Wolverine system looks great, very versatile, I'll have to look it to it a bit more tho, it's a bit on the expensive side!? :?

Thanks for the link tho! :p

Cheers

Nads

Latest posts

Back