something Similar to the woodpecker 300mm Triangle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Vastano

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I want to purchase a 300mm Triangle similar to the woodpecker one time tool. Mainly to check the square of my festool MFT but handy for other things also. I currently use a cheap and cheerful rafter square but I am not all together at ease with its accuracy.

I see that Peter Seftons site has woodpecker products but not the 300mm Triangle, anybody know of somewhere in the UK I can get this or something similar?

You might like to see my thread on 'high accuracy square-setting jig', which shows how to make a simple kid to check the accuracy of any square.

Keith

MusicMan":3htcpc8n said:
You might like to see my thread on 'high accuracy square-setting jig', which shows how to make a simple kid to check the accuracy of any square.

Keith

Have you got a link to the thread please as I have done a search but cannot find it? Thanks.

You're right to be suspicious of a rafter square for your purposes, but you don't have to go to the extent of a Woodpecker tool. A plastic draughtsman's triangle delivers extreme accuracy at a fraction of the price, plus because they're transparent they can be used for extending right angled layout lines on a rod or a plan. Another option is the original factory corner from a quality sheet of MDF, check it first but they're almost always bob on.

Good luck.

Most of the Rafter squares I have used are sufficient for there designed purpose, but not for precise setting up.

custard":gkfj9bbz said:
Another option is the original factory corner from a quality sheet of MDF, check it first but they're almost always bob on..

I have to say I put no reliance on these edges any more, I use a lot of 18mm MRMDF (Medite) for my London based customer, invariably, we found that the long edges either have slight concave or convex curves in them.

For my setting up I use a checked for square kitchen cupboard door.

Roughcut":3ulaxijp said:
MusicMan":3ulaxijp said:

Keith

Have you got a link to the thread please as I have done a search but cannot find it? Thanks.

Here you go:

high-accuracy-square-setting-jig-t93871.html?hilit=%20square

and of course it was 'jig' not 'kid'. It wasn't a new woodie technical term!

Keith

custard":19y4eucg said:
A plastic draughtsman's triangle delivers extreme accuracy at a fraction of the price, plus because they're transparent they can be used for extending right angled layout lines on a rod or a plan.
Good luck.

I checked the price of the woodpecker square and had to sit down.
I agree with Custard that plastic squares are accurate - and much cheaper than the kit from woodwork suppliers.
I use something similar to this, discovered when I accompanied my wife one day when she was looking for sewing bits and bobs, it's as accurate as I can check it.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quilting-Patchwork-Ruler-Square-15-5/dp/B003GOVMWM

Jim

If you look in "The wonderful world of Niki's Jigs" in the jigs section you will see that he used a plastic draughtsman's triangle and trim bit to create "thicker" triangles which he used on his many jigs.

Latest posts

Back