something new, and wood identification

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tekno.mage":21p1nqti said:
Can't help you with the wood ID, I'm afraid - except that it looks remarkably similar to a piece I used to make a small box last year - fibrous and nasty to turn, but polished up beautifully. My piece came from a bag of "offcuts" someone gave me and from it's profile also had something to do with window frames (I thought it looked like a bit of drip throat). I'm afraid I labelled my box as being made of "mystery recycled wood".

Your plugs are really lovely - beautiful finish on them - and they have reminded me of a small job I rashly promised a friend over a year a go and still haven't done - a pair of hawthorn nipple shields. I think they are going to be rather tricky!

thanks, all natural too, sand upto 2000 grit, then polish and buff with carnauba wax.

ive made a couple sets of nipple shields over the years (including an gaboon ebony one with pink ivory dot inlays, that was fiddly) found it best to shape and finish the back first, part it off, then work the front, chucking it however you feel best with. :)

gandy":q23zp9e7 said:
ive made a couple sets of nipple shields over the years (including an gaboon ebony one with pink ivory dot inlays, that was fiddly) found it best to shape and finish the back first, part it off, then work the front, chucking it however you feel best with. :)

Thanks - that was kinda how I was thinking of doing them - but these will be plain hawthorn - I imagine doing dot inlays on something that small was somewhat challenging!

Back