Something different

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
Different for me anyway.First attempt at doing this.
Here is this weeks effort.Oak and Ash pieces laminated.(my favourite timbers at the moment :roll:
Bowl measures 10-1/2" diam x 3" deep.
Finished with sanding sealer and wax :D
Took two days to glue together using PVA glue :roll:

And here are some of the shavings.Luvly jubbly :D

Paul.J.

Hi Paul,

looks really nice. and I like the 4 sections of ash round the rim.

a pic of the glue up would be good, did you bandsaw it to rough shape before glue up.

Cheers
Neil

I like that Paul, what method of timber finishing did you use to get the good joint fit between the pieces, just sawn, machine planed, hand planed?

Radicalwood said
did you bandsaw it to rough shape before glue up.

Hello Neil.
No.I glued all parts together in square form.
Then when it was all dry found the centres than scribed a circle,than cut it round on the bandsaw.
Glad you noticed the Ash segments on top,turned out o.k. :D
Paul.J.

CHJ said
what method of timber finishing did you use to get the good joint fit between the pieces, just sawn, machine planed, hand planed?

Chas.
All the parts were cut using machines,table saw,thicknesser,and suface planer (jointer).
I'd never be able to do it using hand tools,hopeless :roll: :roll:
I done the top and bottom first,then glued in the other Ash sections when t/b were dried.Glued and clamped between 3/4 ply.
I suppose i should have done a wip.Perhaps next time. :)
Paul.J.

Paul

Very nice but in that last pic there seems to be some thing not working but I cant put my finger on it :wink:

Colin c said
there seems to be some thing not working but I cant put my finger on it

Colin believe me it was working.
Most if not all the fine dust was going down those extraction tubes :D :D
Paul.J.

Paul.J":39142m05 said:
Colin c said

Paul.J.

The age old turners nightmare, virtually impossible to extract a significant portion of the shavings, even Barry was getting despondent with the problem of how to get them as far as his cyclone when they have no intention of conforming to a constant stream direction.

Paul.J":1gqup818 said:
Colin c said

Paul.J.

:D :wink:

Nice piece of work,Paul - WIP pictures next time,please [-o<

(Things I haven't done yet,but still intend to, include turning a segmented piece,and turning a square piece - all help and advice gratefully received :wink: )

Andrew

andrew, square pieces arnt really that bad to turn, 2 things to constantly keep in mind though, 1 if you catch yourself with a corner whilst turning you will bleed, curse, throw things and be in pain, not a good day out at all! 2, its hard to keep the following edge of the square from tearing/splitting and generally being and looking rough, sharp, sharp tools! ive only done 1 with my limited experience but was ok to do, knew nothing bout finishes back then hence the rough finish

dave

woodturningandstuff056.jpg

Thanks Andrew/Dave.
Powertool said
all help and advice gratefully received )
Andrew.Your asking me for advice :lol: :lol:
To be honest Andrew it was just one of those things where it all seemed to go to plan,very rare :!: :!:
It was just all butt jointed and clamped toether.You can make whatever design you like.
Any probs let me know and i will try and help. :D
Paul.J.

Latest posts

Back