Some progress..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pabs

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Had a redesign and decided to build the carcass square then at some point drop on a pent roof hat which I can make separately.

So main frame done now ready for more work this weekend

The challenge was hand tools only and no metal fixings for the main frame.
20230413_194001.jpg
It's all mortices and tenon with drawbored dowels for the main horizontal cross beam. These are also wedged in.

The uprights for each end are morticed together at the top and half lap for the horizontal lower brace. The middle vertical support is half lap as well.

The wee bits across top are just temporary bracing

Just trying out a few different methods I've been practicing

20230415_134446.jpgProductive morning cutting up bits of pallet and offcuts, added more bracing as ran out of longer sections for the front top. Some oil applied. Snugged everything up too. It's surprisingly square!
20230415_134823.jpg20230415_134833.jpg
The challenge was matching the wall as a level when the patio slopes down in two directions.

20230415_134817.jpg
Added some half lap decorative trim to the upper half end sections and feather board to the lower section. Gave up on the no metal work for the extra bracing and the cladding! I was going to wedge dowel them all like the main horizontal below but skill ain't quite there yet so nailed em in

When I go get more stuff I'll do the back and start the pent roof hat.

I really like this. I'm yet to discover the different types of joints used in woodwork.

Bit more done. Cut out all the rafters and put some feather edge up the back.
Just got to figure out what I'll use for the roof, I have pallet boards lying around which would probably work and cost nothing but a little muscle planing to get a bit neater, then I think I could put some tiles on overlying it, bitumen maybe. Never done anything like this so I'll do some reading and figure what the best stuff would be

20230424_154949.jpeg

That's coming along nicely! It beats the log store my son and I made from pallets.

That's coming along nicely! It beats the log store my son and I made from pallets.
thanks, it's a bit of a voyage into the unknown for me but some good practice.
just got to figure out the roof construction - I may use some old pallet wood slats as sheathing and then shingles over the top.
all practice for bigger projects hopefully!

Not much achieved so far this week, had to go along to aberdeen for work - the 'silver city' - but it's not ever really that glamorous thanks to the incessant haar, grey slabs of granite and loadsa oil. Just miserable.

But I did pick up some instant colour and hung them up ;) = wifey happy.

20230427_194537.jpeg

I got some OSB too - my thinking was I could joint the pallet boards to form a kind of 'ceiling' to the logstore then a deck with the OSB with some underlayment - then bitumen round shingles to create a neat protective layer.

But anyway I cleaned up the workshop from all the planing that I've done so far on this

20230424_211046.jpeg

there will be a bench seat there too - and I started marking up and chopping out the M&T for this tonight.

20230427_194517.jpeg

Thanks for following along

progress hampered somewhat by the tiny one wanting to use the saws. I felt perhaps that the plastic one suited him better at this age but he was adamant. In the end I let him pick his favourite and watch me saw up some offcuts.
20230503_192201.jpeg

but managed to get the OSB on, it's got two coats of bitumenous paint on it. then I put some flashing to seal the join between two boards, added a drip edge (which is a felt support tray but it looks like it would do the job). Just before it started raining. tomorrow if dry / sat if not I'll put a layer of felt on and then some circular shingles - more for aesthetic but hopefully it'll be pretty weather resistant (y)
20230503_192738.jpeg

It's brilliant kids being interested in what grown ups are doing (not digitally) but in an old analogue way. They soak it up and it comes out when they're a bit older. Looking forward to seeing the log store completed, I think I may have to redesign ours when I retire at the end of the year. You've put mine to shame :)

A very nice job but up there should it not be bigger living up there...?.....lol.......
mines an absolute disgrace but hold around 3.5 tons of pre cut wood.....
and we only use the wood boiler about 20 days per year....

I also like the idea of young'uns helping out......
only last week I got some assisted steering......hahaha........
IMG_5474.jpeg

My great friend from Poland is coming in two weeks......his 2 boys want to go home with a small wooden train and caboose.....
that'll be fun.....

Not much achieved so far this week, had to go along to aberdeen for work - the 'silver city' - but it's not ever really that glamorous thanks to the incessant haar, grey slabs of granite and loadsa oil. Just miserable.

Oi!

sorry @Fitzroy no offence intended lol. I cut my teeth starting out working in aberdeen got out 5 years ago. it does have a nice bypass now at least! hadn't been back since!

The wall at the low end of the pent roof will not like the rainwater draining onto it, hope you have a gutter on the back.

sorry @Fitzroy no offence intended lol. I cut my teeth starting out working in aberdeen got out 5 years ago. it does have a nice bypass now at least! hadn't been back since!
None taken! The haar is my biggest annoyance. Perfect weather forecast on the weekend, bright and sunny, beach day planned, wake up and the haar is in!

It's brilliant kids being interested in what grown ups are doing (not digitally) but in an old analogue way. They soak it up and it comes out when they're a bit older. Looking forward to seeing the log store completed, I think I may have to redesign ours when I retire at the end of the year. You've put mine to shame :)
Grown-ups can also go the other way. I've found it great to learn how to do mine-craft (digital lego) and spend some amazing times building fantastic things in the virtual world with my two boys. It's also less effort to clean up and less painful to step on.

The wall at the low end of the pent roof will not like the rainwater draining onto it, hope you have a gutter on the back.
thanks - well spotted - yes I've got a single rung of guttering to go along the back and have left a gap between the roof trailing edge and the wall and the whole thing drops 1cm along the width (2m) relative to level.

Back