Some old stuff

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobajobob

Established Member
Reaction score
A few bits and pieces made some time ago that I've just got round to photographing.
May be of interest.

Bob

Attachments

• DSC02650.1024a.jpg
    DSC02650.1024a.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 1,089
  • DSC02664.1024.jpg
    DSC02664.1024.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 1,089
  • DSC02665.1024.jpg
    DSC02665.1024.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 1,089
  • DSC02638.1024.jpg
    DSC02638.1024.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 1,089
  • DSC02639.1024.jpg
    DSC02639.1024.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 1,089
  • DSC02641.1024.jpg
    DSC02641.1024.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 1,089
Thanks guys.
I've started posting on turners groups on facebook. The emphasis is more on output than methods there. This is a workshop forum so discussion of equipment and
facilities is naturally going to be the primary focus. My equipment is pretty primitive but perfectly adequate. I don't subscribe to the principle that kit inventory equates to output quality. Personally, I would prefer more discussion on turning projects. Critiques, successes and failures. If more members would submit their work we could all benefit from our collective experience.

Bob

bobajobob":31x1nc5v said:
Thanks guys.
I've started posting on turners groups on facebook. The emphasis is more on output than methods there. This is a workshop forum so discussion of equipment and
facilities is naturally going to be the primary focus. My equipment is pretty primitive but perfectly adequate. I don't subscribe to the principle that kit inventory equates to output quality. Personally, I would prefer more discussion on turning projects. Critiques, successes and failures. If more members would submit their work we could all benefit from our collective experience.

Bob

I agree with what you say many would rather talk about equipment and not submit work.

As for your work some great pieces but there are things that for me are a personal dislike the first is the foot on the first bowl just does not look right to me and the second piece is the one in the bowl picture the shape is just not right but the wood used work together for colour.

All the pieces look well turned and finished. My favourite is the bowl in the second set followed by the vases in the last.

Please keep them coming

Thanks Derek.
You are a regular contributor and clearly understand my point. I have posted a lot of my work recently (too much I fear). The view figures suggest reasonable interest but the response has been meagre, apart from a few generous and respected members. Working in isolation I cannot judge my own work objectively and rely on the knowledge and perception of more experienced (or novice) turners. Thank you for your comments. I need to hear honest opinions. The foot on that bowl was unorthodox but that was the fun of doing it. With so many wonderful turned pieces confronting us we are obliged to deviate from the norm to tread new ground. It is hard to be original without muddying our boots.

Bob

Keep posting is all I can say, I don't always post in the turning section as I have other projects on the go mainly toys but I still like to look in here and other sites that I visit.

Some of the newer turners I feel are afraid to post their work but by doing so can learn a lot about mistakes, bad design etc.

Because one person dislikes a certain design on a piece does not mean that it is wrong and exploring the different shapes is part of the fun of turning.

I'm a big fan of what you're doing - looks fantastic and I like to try and work out how you did it!

bobajobob":27lwcpbz said:
Thanks Derek.
You are a regular contributor and clearly understand my point. I have posted a lot of my work recently (too much I fear). The view figures suggest reasonable interest but the response has been meagre, apart from a few generous and respected members. Working in isolation I cannot judge my own work objectively and rely on the knowledge and perception of more experienced (or novice) turners. Thank you for your comments. I need to hear honest opinions. The foot on that bowl was unorthodox but that was the fun of doing it. With so many wonderful turned pieces confronting us we are obliged to deviate from the norm to tread new ground. It is hard to be original without muddying our boots.

Bob

Just as an after thought sometimes the lack of posts could also be down to newer members not feeling that they are qualified to voice an opinion even if it is just to say "I like this or that"

Back