Some Car Boot Stuff

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scouse

Established Member
Reaction score
Following my thread in April asking if people were still interested in car boot threads, I have failed to post a single one :oops: .

I'd love to have a decent excuse but the dog ate my homework.

To be honest, a combination of weather and a couple of weekends when I had to work has meant that there haven't been that many boot sale opportunities. I've also found I've become a bit more selective as time moves on, I used to just buy anything and everything within budget (I only take £15 with me, more of a challenge!), but now I tend to look for items which interest me, as a result a few sales have come and gone with plenty of tools for sale, but nothing to show.

Some stuff I've already posted in my resto thread here, which I also need to update, but here is a compilation of a few odds I have picked up in the last few weeks.

First up a couple of little vices, two for a fiver; the first I thought was unusual, no name and screws which sit on top rather than below the worktop. Well I thought it was unusual until one sold on the 'for sale' board last week, so maybe not!

A Paramo A-One clamp on vice, similar to a Record Imp. I forgot to take a picture before I fixed it up, but it was rusty and siezed, so I let it jump the queue before it got any worse. A good little vice now, with not much use if the unmarked jaws are an indication.

Another queue jumper was this Stanley No. 3 Type 12 (1919-1924). £3 bought it in this condition (together!)

A couple of amps later it looks like this, the iron is pitted at the top but good where it counts

So that was the last few weeks, onto yesterday. Some weeks I see nothing and others I end up in debt (went a fiver over budget). Worth it though.

I picked up a Rapier 4 1/2 for a pound coin, beyond help, and plastic handles, but it had one of these and I need one for a bit of Frankenstein tomfoolery, more of which later...

Disston D8 pre 1918, 50p. I broke the first rule of the boot sale when I passed up a later (1970's/ 80's) Disston earlier and was about to go back for it when a bloke walked past with it in his hand, so I carried on and spied this under a pile of disposables. Bit of damage to the top horn, but otherwise good.

But the three which made it worthwhile;

Stanley No. 18 knuckle joint block plane, great condition, rust free even under the mouth plate. It's a post Sweetheart if the 'Made in USA' blade is original, so going by that, the age would be between 1933 and 1950 when they stopped making them. £5.

Another fiver bought a Goodell Pratt No. 23 polishing head. 1920's I guess, but little info available it would appear. It's funny because I was looking at a model 21 (without the drill bit) a couple of weeks ago on ebay.

Finally my last £5 bought a North Brothers Yankee 133H screwdriver unused in the original box with the trade label still attached. Lovely.

Good haul there Scouse!!! Been keeping that little lot secret haven't we!!?

I too have been a bit more selective of late...and as a consequence, missing bootfairs hasn't been much of a struggle but I do miss the exercise. Yesterday I was out between 6am and 4pm walking...so that's a few miles right there.

That old saw of yours is my favourite of all of the finds...what are you going to do with the handle?

Jimi

jimi43":2bg24xxe said:
That old saw of yours is my favourite of all of the finds...what are you going to do with the handle?

Well the bloke who did this and this seems to know what he is doing, so my first thought is a repair in a similar style :mrgreen: .

marcros":2bg24xxe said:
What does the polishing head do, or how does it work?

What Phil said, but don't be fooled by scale; think Dremel rather than Creusen. it's only 6 inches high with a 3/8 inch arbor and tiny drill chuck!

Scouse":1y9b49mi said:
jimi43":1y9b49mi said:

Well the bloke who did this and this seems to know what he is doing, so my first thought is a repair in a similar style :mrgreen: .

marcros":1y9b49mi said:
What does the polishing head do, or how does it work?

What Phil said, but don't be fooled by scale; think Dremel rather than Creusen. it's only 6 inches high with a 3/8 inch arbor and tiny drill chuck!

HA! Ok mate..glad you're going to sort it..it deserves it.

Looking at the angle the grain lines run up the side....I think that you have a line to work to.

If you keep the strata flowing at the same angle all the way up...when you get to the horn...if you slice it off neatly along the same lines (pun intended!) then you can splice a bit in and the join will simply look like the other angled grain lines.

Just a thought.

Jimi

Back