Solid Oak Library

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ

Established Member
Reaction score
Heres a few pics of a library thats near completion. The client asked for a simple clean design (No frills) heres the design.

l1.jpg

Day 1
l2.jpg

l3.jpg

A few days later
l5.jpg

l4.jpg

l6.jpg

l7.jpg

The fixed shelves and supported with Dominos and pocket screws and the floaters are supported with Banjos (which I highly recommend) Hope to get the cornice and trim for the uprights finished within the next few days ready for fitting next saturday.

Russ

That looks really good!

Couple of questions:

Am I right in thinking that's all from veneered MDF?

Also: are you going to use a back panel for rigidity or just fix the sides and fixed shelves to the wall?

Nice work. I particularly like the cabinet in the background. Goes well with the wee Marshall :D

Bryn :)

pren":35a83i2c said:
That looks really good!

Couple of questions:

Also: are you going to use a back panel for rigidity or just fix the sides and fixed shelves to the wall?

Nice work. I particularly like the cabinet in the background. Goes well with the wee Marshall :D

No; its all solid kiln and when the 2 shelves are fitted above the door I reckon a few fixings should hold it sturdy, hidden behind the cornice should do the trick.

Looks amazing!

Out of curiosity...and pm if you like, how much does something like that cost?

Chems":y4h0980z said:
pren":y4h0980z said:

I've just gotta ask, didn't you read the thread title?

Ah. :oops:

You mean the title that uses the words 'Solid' and 'oak'?

No. No I didn't. :oops: :lol:

Having seen and admired so much of Brad's work on here I immediatly assumed that veneered MDF was the :norm: for a project of this scale :oops:

Doubly impressed then! =D>

lol, I half expected you to say he'd changed the thread title after you asked or something.

Lovely piece Russ!

pren":2vii8518 said:
Having seen and admired so much of Brad's work on here I immediatly assumed that veneered MDF was the :norm: for a project of this scale

Given the choice I would make it from solid wood myself. Apart from anything else it would be a lot quicker and easier than lipping all that MDF.

In fact, on a job like this that is exactly what I would do. The time saving would balance out the extra cost of the timber so making the final price to the client around the same.

Cheers
Brad

I am deeply jealous of your client. Having a library is one of my goals for life and that looks like a lovely specimen. Need the Georgian mansion first though...

BradNaylor":1yklidb3 said:
pren":1yklidb3 said:
Having seen and admired so much of Brad's work on here I immediatly assumed that veneered MDF was the :norm: for a project of this scale

Given the choice I would make it from solid wood myself. Apart from anything else it would be a lot quicker and easier than lipping all that MDF.

In fact, on a job like this that is exactly what I would do. The time saving would balance out the extra cost of the timber so making the final price to the client around the same.

Cheers
Brad

Interesthing, I will need to do something similar in my conservatory.
but what about wood movement in a few years? is not solid oak more propense to move and expansion?

I nearly asked about it being MDF or solid, feel stupid after reading up on the thread :oops:
It looks really good, and I'm sure the customer will be thrilled with it too.
Nice large workshop you have got there too! :wink:

Managed to fit the bookcase, was a bit of a pain working on saturday but it's a holiday home and they only visit at weekends. Usually keys are offered but not on this job - must be my dodgy face!

n1.jpg

n2.jpg

n3.jpg

Nice job Russ; my only criticism is that it looks slightly utilitarian now that it is installed. Perhaps a few hundred books will help!

I can't help feeling that a fancier cornice would have improved the aesthetics without overwhelming the simplicity of the styling.

Something like this;

HillAlcoveUnitsWIP008.jpg

Cheers
Brad

andycorleone":rce2itbb said:
but what about wood movement in a few years? is not solid oak more propense to move and expansion?

Yes, solid oak will move. In a conservatory it is likely to shrink considerably in the summer and swell in the winter.

However, wood only moves appreciably across the grain and in a bookcase like this all the grain is orientated in the same direction. Wood movement only presents serious problems when two or more pieces of wood jointed together are pulling in different directions. The only worry I would have would be the possiblity of the loose shelves cupping or warping.

Cheers
Brad

Looks a nice neat job there. I agree these projects usually photograph better full of books.

There is one think I would have done differently and that is put a back in the units even if its painted MDF the same as the walls so that you can allow a bit on the sides to be able to scribe the side to the wall and not have any gaps.

Jon

That looks great, don't take any notice of Brads comments he lives in 1972 and doesn't understand the word "style"
I fear he still wears yellow shell suits :lol: :lol: :lol:

[/quote]

but what about wood movement in a few years? is not solid oak more propense to move and expansion?[/quote]

I use (chêne de bourgogne) which is an oak thats grown at a higher altitude and seasoned in the mountains. I'm no wood scientist but have used this oak for years and it has never given me any nightmares, even made a large garden table 3 years ago and its still as good today as the day I made it.

Back