Solar lights for shed?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morfa

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone got a solar light for their shed/workshop? There's no chance of running power to the shed (least not permanently) and it's a handtools workshop, so I'm not fussed about lack of power.

I came across this:

http://www.thesolarcentre.co.uk/product ... 55-85.html

Not cheap at £180 including the battery. But I don't mind if it actually works.

Anyone used one? Any better/cheaper alternatives?

Also I've seen in the past that you can get small (about the size of a can) 'lights' which are like little glass reflectors which you put in the roof for extra light during the day. As if the door is shut, it's a bit gloomy. However I can't figure out what they're called. Any ideas?

Well, a cheaper alternative would be an old car or fire alarm battery and a charger to use indoors and carry out to the shed when needed. There are plenty of 12v LEDs sold for boats, cars or caravans. Cheaper than the panel but less convenient. Or even some of the amazingly good bike lights available now.

The tube things are called sun tunnels - from Velux and many others.

Aha, sun tunnels! Pity they're more expensive than the solar panel option. I'd rather hoped they'd be a cheap option. But they all want you to buy a full kit. No need for that on a shed.

Yeah, I could wire up a battery and cat it up and down, but that'd be annoying in the long run. Hence the solar panels idea. Just wondering if anyone else has done it.

You could try the solution for a "sun tunnel" used in rural Africa - an empty 2L PET drinks bottle filled with water and jammed halfway through a hole in the roof. Leaks might be a problem.

There are cheaper ways of doing the solar powered light. There are cheaper kits, or if you want to DIY look for a "solar charger" on say, CPC or Maplin, make sure it's for a car battery, and waterproof if neeeded - about £25-30 The other bits are easy - car battery, 12v (eg MR16) LED lamp and a socket.

any solar charger less than 80W will not keep a battery charged in winter and to my mind that one looks very small. I use a lot of solar, and have 320w on my motorhome to run the lights, TV and water pump etc. 80W on the shed roof for misc battery charging (the workshop does not have mains power only a 6.5 kva generator.

Lots of food for thought there. Thanks gents.

Not sure about the plastic bottle idea, but it's no different to buying something I guess.

I do have a external power socket on the house, so a tewmporary cable can be used, but it's a bit of a pita.

nolegs - I can't be bothered, it is just for lights so a solar panel will do fine. I really have no need to have it powered up properly. Also the garden would make laying a trench tricky (we have a retaining wall).

morfa":2sorcqun said:
nolegs - I can't be bothered, it is just for lights so a solar panel will do fine. I really have no need to have it powered up properly. Also the garden would make laying a trench tricky (we have a retaining wall).

Gotcha :D

n0legs":2bxsfmd5 said:
morfa":2bxsfmd5 said:

Gotcha :D

As you're just down the road, if you ever want to pop over for a natter and take a look, feel free to drop me a PM.

morfa":3do2jps4 said:
As you're just down the road, if you ever want to pop over for a natter and take a look, feel free to drop me a PM.

I'll take you up on that offer one day, maybe in the summer. Thanks :D

Back