Soft close, difficult open!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickm

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Bought some unbranded (but instructions were in Polish, if that's any help) mesh slide-out shelves to fit in narrow kitchen unit. They are OK, but for one thing. The soft close mechanism works fine when closing, but offers enough resistance when opening for it to be necessary to pull quite hard, when it feels as if the whole thing goes over a sort of speed bump. Result is that unless each shelf is packed full, stuff gets shaken around.
Any suggestions as to how to reduce this "resistance point"?

Try disabling the soft close mechanism on one runner. I did this unwittingly when fitting my kitchen drawers - I needed a bit more clearance on one runner and thought I could achieve it by sawing off a small metal projection on the runner. This projection actuates the ‘brake’ but there is still enough to close the drawer.

Thanks for that. will see what I can find around the runners. Did wonder if it would get better with time, but couldn't find a volunteer to open and close unit repeatedly for a few hours.....................

Back