So, Should I build the cot?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I am considering building the cot for my new offspring. I am having doubts about the project for the following reasons. I actually have very little woodworking experience, should this be a beginner project? With this in mind I would almost definitely follow a plan. I have seen this one which looks good, but very expensive. The other problem is that I do not have a planer thicknesser. Is this an essential buy for this type of project? I do intend on buying one at some point but it might be a bit too much to buy right now. I have a bit of time, the baby isn't due until November and SWMBO wants it to stay in a moses basket initially. So a good 8 months. Finally I have concerns about where the cot will go when it is no longer needed. I would have to make it 'knock-down' so it can be stored in the loft.

Whilst I realise the pleasure and pride in making my baby's first sleeping place, is it cheaper and more convenient to buy a high quality product from a reputable supplier?

I think I am talking myself out of it, but your views would be appreciated.

I bought one, but several people on here did make a lovely job - which no doubt got pride of place in the babys room.

My only advice is forget doing anything on it at all once the baby arrives. Absolutely no chance at all. Before hand - depends how quickly you work!

Adam

Did you buy one purely for the time factor Adam?

Hi Wizer,

It sounds to me as though you will be putting yourself under a lot of pressure at a time when you really don't need it. Go out and buy one :wink:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

WiZeR":1t9efmfr said:
Did you buy one purely for the time factor Adam?

Yeah I think so (kind of forgot now). We were trying to move house as well I think.

Adam

IMHO buy or borrow one and use your time/money to make something that will be of more use over a longer period of time.

eg a baby changing cabinet which will easily convert into a cupboard

Andy

Steve Maskery":2swn8i34 said:
dedee":2swn8i34 said:
eg a baby changing cabinet which will easily convert into a cupboard

No, no, no!

A baby-changing cabinet that will easily convert into a router table, maybe!

:)
S

Damn

Why did I not think of that :roll:

I think I still have some bits of the Ikea one ( good for the top ) :)

Don't fall into the trap of kidding yourself you'd be making the cot for your baby.. :shock:

Your baby will probably spend up to 6 months in the moses basket. Unless you get a cot-bed (larger than a cot) he/she will be ready for a bed by about 2 1/2 - 3 years. He/she will have no concept of you having made the cot until he/she is ready to move out of it.

A changing table that converts into a chest of drawers/cupboard would be a good idea as it will last for years. As would a 'junior wardrobe' for example. Later, build the first bed. I built beds for both my daughters. My youngest is now almost 4 and she still proudly tells people "I really like my bed that Daddy made for me". Now she's getting very excited about having her own wardrobe (which is curently making slow progress in the workshop!

In short - I'd personally recommend buying the cot and only making things which will last several years.

Dave

I agree with Dave S, I have built two, one for each of my two daughters sons. (my grandsons)
Both daughters were very proud of them and always telling folk that I had made them but the grandchildren know nothing of this. Both cots are now in their respective lofts doing nothing but gathering dust.
I've told them to get rid of them as neither will be having any more children but both say "we couldn't do that, you made them" but why?
I think a changing cupboard that will always be of some use would be a far more useful project.
Just my two pennyworth.

Alan.

Tom,

I bought one for a number of reasons:

- we were moving house a couple of months before the baby arrived, so I wasn't short of other things to do!
- Because of the move, the workshop wasn't exactly in an 'ideal' state :roll:
- When I looked at the price of the shop ones, it just wasn't worth me spending time making a cot rather than some other piece of furniture which would be of more benefit in the long run. We bought a Mamas and Papas solid beech cotbed for £175 which I am delighted with, and as it converts to a bed it will do for the little fella for a few years. I'm sure the wood would have cost at least half of this, so I certainly couldn't justify making one for monetary reasons. My plan is to make a proper bed for him once he has grown out of this one.

Having said that, if its something which you would really like to do then go for it! But as Adam says, take your cut-off point as the birth, not the time that you will be done with the Moses basket. Trust me, you will get nothing done whatsoever for the first few months after the birth - in fact if you are as exhausted as I was it would actually be dangerous to go in the workshop.

Cheers,
Neil

JL Bluewater - own brand Beech c. £99.

Assuming it's more or less the same as the one we purchased, it should have 3 height positions & a drop-side - both things you'll be grateful for. It's also well made.

Spend any spare cash saved from buying wood etc and invest in a Bugaboo pram.

As for something to make... A toy box.

Hi WIZer,

Here's my thread from a while back...

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... highlight=

I worked mainly from a plan (I could photocopy and post it to you if you like) and I consider myself a beginner - so if I can do it you can do it...

I know it's not the fanciest of cots but it's solid oak and I think it looks great :lol:

The most amazing thing is seeing my daughter in it, sleeping contently. She was in the cot from about 3 weeks old (not 6 months...!) and has slept pretty soundly in it ever since. I am, of course, convinced that it's because Daddy spent HOURS in the garage putting blood and sweat into building it for her.

A cot might be cheap to buy from Mothercare, Ikea or wherever, but the feeling you get when you see your baby in something you built is PRICELESS! SWMBO is very happy with it too...

A planer / thicknesser is imperative (I couldn't have built the cot without one...). I'm of J24 of M25 so I could be persuaded to give you a hand to size up the timber with you if you can get to me (don't think you're too far away?). I bought the SIP 10"x6" P/T from Ally Pally - the demo model - for £325. I've been really pleased with it.

You've got ages to go until the birth, I say go for it. It will help to increase the excitement building up to the birth of your baby - and you'll love seeing your baby in it. You will HAVE to finish it in time for the birth though - you won't get much time after that... Mine was finished about 3 days into my paternity leave - just about got away with that... :wink:

IMG_1044.jpg

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Cheers

Gary

phew, well I have given it a lot of thought and as much as I would like to make it I think I agree with what most of you have said, my time would be much better spent on something else.

Gary thanks for your offer of help, very kind. Your cot looks amazing i'm sure you are very proud.

Also, You have all managed to make me realise where all my spare time is going to go.... :shock: :-k #-o

Not sure what I will make, toy box is a given, maybe a high chair for a few years down the line. I have a feeling the missus is going to want to buy the whole nursery sweet in one fail swoop so not sure what's going to be left to make. Ah well, i'll just have to concentrate on kitting out the new workshop :-$ :whistle:

Thanks very much for your advice guys

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons:
I made a rocking crib for my youngest, which I made from pineboard just screwed and glued together. It was quite a good job for me until I stained it and went blotchy and the wrong colour. But it didn't take very long or much skill and has survived three children who each used it until they graduated to the cot (which we inherited from my brother).

I then made a simple toy box from MDF with routed corner joints and painted.

And finally for the oldest I made a mini bed for when he graduated from the cot, his "Brand New Bed"(TM) as he called it, very simple construction using Bed bolts etc and again that got passed onto his brother and now a friend uses.

They were some of the most satifyings things I ever made not neccessarily because they were well made or difficult or even saved much money but because of why they were made. Particularily when you are making a crib for your first child that has not been born yet, for me at least made the impending fatherhood process far more real than attending anti-natal classes and NCT!

If you get a chance to make something before they are born go for it, you are more likely to have the time now than later.

All the best and enjoy

Andrew

newbieblyth":2j6gk3ff said:
They were some of the most satifyings things I ever made not neccessarily because they were well made or difficult or even saved much money but because of why they were made. Particularily when you are making a crib for your first child that has not been born yet, for me at least made the impending fatherhood process far more real than attending anti-natal classes and NCT!

I agree with that sentiment entirely.

The other thing that hasn't been mentioned on this thread (or if it has I've missed it!) is that a cot could be passed down through generations - the thought of my grandchildren and great grandchildren growing up in the cot makes it even more amazing.

Not trying to push a 'hard sell' on you WiZeR, but just going for the gentle persuasion approach... :roll:

I agree with you Gary re the passing down through the generations. My father bought the "family" cot second-hand in 1949, its been used by 4 children and 7 grandchildren.

Brian, my woody-friend-next-door, and I made this cradle for his twin grand-children:
twin_cradle.jpg

I can be locked in place or left to swing, or it can rock on the floor.

The photo is taken before it was polished, but when finished it looked really good. It's gone to several sets of twins since then and the ony stipulation has been that there should be a small brass plaque attached to record the occupant.

Cheers
Steve

ahh

Now Steve, THAT looks interesting. Can I ask you to elaborate on it's construction? What wood did you use? Does the top come off? and if so, is it light enough to move around?

I think i'd be much more enthusiastic about building something like that and it seems there is room to add your own mark to it.

Cheers

It's actually very simple construction.

It's oak, the ends are vertical, the sides are sloped. All the corners are dovetailed (by hand, I think it took Brian a while).

The stand is just M&T with a rail between the two legs, and the cradle sits in a notch at the top of the legs.

A brass peg with cocobolo knob (seen parked doing nothing in the photo)can be inserted through the leg and to the cradle to stop it rocking (useful when lifting the baby in and out, I imagine).

If you lift it off the legs it rocks on the floor because the ends are curved, too.

One thing to note. If the twins are different weights then it does not hang right. So they had on old flat-iron shoved in a strategically balancing position to keep them on an even keel!

Cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back