Snooker Cue finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ANCues

Reaction score
Hey guys,

A Rookie here on Cue making. When I went around and had a look at the cues on the market, i find that they all have a very glossy and shiny finish yet it doesn't drag on the bridge, I just simply don't know how to achieve this. I've used raw linseed oil but the effect isn't what I was after. Can Someone please help?
Cheers,
Arthur

wipe on polyeurathane. Oil based clear gloss. a couple coats and its like glass.

I read on a snooker website from a top class maker that you should use boiled linseed oil.

Im currently in the process of making a cue and will be using this when finishing it.

If you do want to use linseed oil and are not familiar with it, a few notes might help.

The normal method for applying it is to wipe the oil on with a rag (old t-shirt is ideal) wait a while, wipe off the excess and wait 24 hours. Then repeat. The oil naturally polymerises as it dries, but if you leave it too thick you will trap sticky goo under the cured outside layer. Dispose of oily rags carefully - don't leave a wet rag bunched up - they can catch fire spontaneously. Put it in a jar of water, or spread it out flat out of doors.

The usual advice is to repeat the process once a day for a week, once a week for a year, then once a year for ever.

'Boiled' oil has other ingredients added to it to make it much quicker to dry than raw oil, which can take weeks to cure, if at all.

Repeated oilings and rubbing with a cloth can bring up a lovely burnished finish which seems to improve with handling - the surface on old wooden tools is generally the result of many applications of linseed oil and sweat.

Back