Smelly Wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnPW

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a small piece of scrap wood from a guitar making workshop, it's really smelly!

It's chocalate brown with darker streaks. I think it's some sort of rosewood but I understand rosewood's supposed to smell of roses, hence the name. But this wood has a sort of sharp unpleasant sour smell. I've read that Honduras rosewood is one rosewood that does not smell of roses, is that what this wood is?

Here's a pic of the wood cut into 15mm x 15mm pieces.

wood.JPG

Attachments

• wood.JPG
    wood.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 251
Stinkwood is a generic term used for a large variety of woods found in South Africa.
I think you might have acquired some!
Looks good though!
Mark

Looking at the grain pattern, my first thought was wenge too. Never used it, so can't comment on the aroma. I have an acoustic guitar with a fretboard of anjan, which is also very similar in pattern/colour, but as it had already been shaped, can't comment on smell either, sorry.

Adam

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've had a look at photos of zebrano and wenge. I think both are too stripey, with a big difference between the lighter and darker stripes, and too regular.

I understand sonokelling is just planation grown Indian rosewood, does it have a bad smell?

What about Robinia, black locust, that is heavy and stinks to high heaven when first cut.
F.

Back