Small workshops

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5x4mtrs :cry: kit built from 34mm dbl t&g looked so big when empty now I think I can see a neighbour arriving soon :mrgreen:

A bit over 300sqft for me. I’m in the middle of a major re-jig to help optimise the layout. Balancing out the competing interests of in/out feed space, storage space, work space,space to keep stock and space for sub assemblies/works in progress is quite a challenge. I’ll post up some pics when I’m done but I doubt I’ll have it perfect.

Old one, 8' x 11' and 8' x 13' with a drafty lean to 12' x 12' between them. Brass monkey cold.

New one, 8' x 16' prefab garage in a state of gestation. JUST about enough space, as I have a second space 8' x12' for metal working - in our utility (separate building from garage and house).

Sam

I have about 50% (on a good day) of my parent's garage.

Less than 100 sq feet!

I'd give my left nut for some of the space you fellas have :wink:

Sigh.... one day!

My workshop at my last house was a 10' x 5' (50 sq ft) wooden shed and I had a full size lathe and a floor standing bandsaw in it as well as my workbench, all of my tools, vac and my wood blank collection (fitted into 10 plastic supermarket delivery trays when we moved). I spent half my time moving stuff out of the way!
I've just moved house, which is still under renovation, and my new workshop (when built) will be 4m x 6m (258sq ft) which will feel immense.

OscarG":1q56su3z said:
I have about 50% (on a good day) of my parent's garage.

Less than 100 sq feet!

I'd give my left nut for some of the space you fellas have :wink:

Sigh.... one day!

My first workshop was 6' x 8' and I made a number of Welsh dressers in it. You learn not to have anything that you don't really, really need.

10x6' shed up here. 1 heavy MFT topped bench, 1 MFT on a rolling base which is home to a CMS which gets pulled out and used as a router table when needed. Very few tools stored in it to keep the space as free as possible. Made big coffee tables, dining table, wardrobe doors, kitchen units and a single bed in there. The real trick is to remember how wide the door is... so you can get stuff out DAMHIKT ;)

Nelsun":31b90iq9 said:
10x6' shed up here. 1 heavy MFT topped bench, 1 MFT on a rolling base which is home to a CMS which gets pulled out and used as a router table when needed. Very few tools stored in it to keep the space as free as possible. Made big coffee tables, dining table, wardrobe doors, kitchen units and a single bed in there. The real trick is to remember how wide the door is... so you can get stuff out DAMHIKT ;)

How do you find the CMS as a router table? I like the idea of something that could fold away and stuck in a corner.

Steliz":1r2uyksn said:
My workshop at my last house was a 10' x 5' (50 sq ft) ...

Mine is the same size, but a stone pent - I knocked through from the old outhouse into the adjacent coal shed. Can be a bit challenging doing assembly, but is big enough for a reasonable amount of work if you stage it correctly. I also work outside in the garden as much as possible, so having portable tools is helpful.

Grawschbags":gg1vp6j1 said:
How do you find the CMS as a router table? I like the idea of something that could fold away and stuck in a corner.
Once I'd stopped crying over the price, I came to like it very much. It's relatively quick to set up / put away, accurate (with adjustability built in) and the accessories (sliding and outfeed tables are two great ones) make for a good setup and all pack away nicely. It also plays nice with MFTs being the same height and MFT accessories. Then there's the option to use the CMS as a [underpowered and fiddly] table saw or inverted jigsaw; the router table is where it shines though.
You could make / buy all that for less but the space saving and interoperability with the Festool system is hard to beat.

Thanks for that. Yeah, the price is eye watering for both the CMS and the Router Insert. Then I suppose you need a Festool Router as well.

Ideally I'll build one that I can wheel under my work bench so it doesn't need it's own footprint.

Ive just inherited the garden room and it is 12x12 so 144 sq ft, at least Im inside now had to do all previous work on dry days. Only been in it three weeks and already stuff is getting pushed outside,hope my nieghbours like blue plastic sheets :shock: .

My single garage workshop is 147 sq ft. I have a 1200x600 workbench, table saw, Kity planer thicknesser, mitre saw and stand, chip and dust extractor, 2 large 4 tier shelf units, and a router sled table setup. A bandsaw and bigger table saw will be going in shortly.

I recently built a 4 metre wide oak tv unit, whilst all of my gym equipment was still in there, and didnt even slightly struggle.

I always wonder what I must be doing wrong to have enough room to work! I can't have enough tools...haha

Mine's a single garage, 2.5x5m (and also houses a motorcycle). This year I've made... new garage doors, 2m+ sideboard, new front door... I'm really hoping to do something smaller soon! I have most things mobile so I can clear some floorspace for glue-ups etc, but still, working on heavy 2.4m bits of wood is a challenge.

Hi all

Im a New member to UKW, so thought i'd start here and post my workshop dimensions "still under contruction at this time" oddly shaped to fit garden, 2m x 5.5m x 6.5m with 7m along the back wall wedged shaped. so somewhere around 200sqf. However I have a 2.4m opening for a sliding door to be fitted, leading out to an open paved area of 5.5m x 10m giving me a further 500 plus sqf of usable space all floor height.

Cant wait to get the roof on and start filling it up with mobile machinery.

Back